Advice needed on diving Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

farsidefan1

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
:confused:I'm taking my wife and daughter to the Bahamas the first week of September. I have already been with Stewart Coves operation (last year) so I want a new experience. I'm thinking of Xanadu over on Freeport island. Anyone had any experience with them? Or I'm open to suggestions. I'll only be there about 4 days so Blackbeards is out. I'll be seeking a land based operation and I hate to schlep my gear every day. I'd prefer to ake it to the dive operation and safely leave it there for the days We are diving. Thanks, Jay:confused:

I would highly recommend Grand Bahama Scuba (Grand Bahamas Scuba - Meet Fred Riger). The owner/operators Fred and Melinda give you personal service. They will store you gear on site in a secure building so no worries about that. They will pick you up at your hotel each day you are diving and return you back afterwards. Your gear will be on the boat each day you are scheduled to dive and it will be setup for you unless you prefer to do it your self. They take excellent care of everyone and have been rated the best dive operator in freeport for the past 2 years by reader of Scuba Diving magazine. I personally have been diving with them for in Freeport for the last 7 years or so. Drop them an e-mail, you can contact them through the website, and they will be happy to answer any questions you might have. Enjoy you visit to Freeport.

I would highly recommend Grand Bahama Scuba (Grand Bahamas Scuba - Meet Fred Riger). The owner/operators Fred and Melinda give you personal service. They will store you gear on site in a secure building so no worries about that. They will pick you up at your hotel each day you are diving and return you back afterwards. Your gear will be on the boat each day you are scheduled to dive and it will be setup for you unless you prefer to do it your self. They take excellent care of everyone and have been rated the best dive operator in freeport for the past 2 years by reader of Scuba Diving magazine. I personally have been diving with them for in Freeport for the last 7 years or so. Drop them an e-mail, you can contact them through the website, and they will be happy to answer any questions you might have. Enjoy you visit to Freeport.
Yup - add me to the fan club

Tried to hook up with them when I was there but they were on vacation so I cannot comment on Grand Bahama Scuba. We had a great experience w/ Unexso. Much better location than Xanadu IMO and they had a great crew of people working there.

Cave Diving and Technical Diving Adventures
on the surface (if you'll forgive the pun) of it perhaps a little specialized for your requirement. Brian Kakuk comes across as very particular and spectacularly competent.

On the one hand he may seem over qualified for some recreational diving, on the other over trained is what you're after if you've the missus and the little one along! He certainly seems able to cater for all skill levels.

Good luck!

I, too,would highly recommend Grand Bahama Scuba. We dove with them last year and they were wonderful. Melinda is just the right Ying to Fred's Yang. We stayed on site and they took complete control of our gear and our needs. We got to the boat in the morning and everything was cleaned and laid out ready to go. There is a reason they keep winning the readers choice award for best scuba operation in all of the Bahamas

Another satisfied customer for GB Scuba. Took the recommendation of others on the board and was glad I did.

:confused:I'm taking my wife and daughter to the Bahamas the first week of September. I have already been with Stewart Coves operation (last year) so I want a new experience. I'm thinking of Xanadu over on Freeport island. Anyone had any experience with them? Or I'm open to suggestions. I'll only be there about 4 days so Blackbeards is out. I'll be seeking a land based operation and I hate to schlep my gear every day. I'd prefer to ake it to the dive operation and safely leave it there for the days We are diving. Thanks, Jay:confused:

I recommend Grand Bahama Scuba. They are closer to the better dive sites. I have been diving with Fred for many years now.

If you have not picked a place to stay then look for something near Port Lucaya. This is where the best shops and resturants are located. Xanadu to at least 25 min away.

Gary

Last edited:
Trip scheduled. Many Thanks for the ideas. Let's get wet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom