Advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Lenharr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone.

My friend Tom and I will be visiting Northern Florida to do some Cavern Diving in Feb of next year. We are both NACD Cavern Certified. Tom has only dove the Ginnie caverns when we were certified and I have been to Alexander and Paradise Springs since then.

I'm looking for a good central location where we can stay (hotel / motel), that would allow us maximum access to the most springs (the shorter the drive, the better). We are going to have 3 full days to dedicate to diving so I would like to maximize the dive time and exposure to different springs / caverns.

Of course a good dive shop nearby the hotel / motel would help, but is not mandatory.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

totally, cathy's.

other options are the skanky-looking but very diver-friendly motels in high springs - the alamo, the cadillac, high springs country inn. or cindy's in mayo.

Excellent!

I just booked a cabin at the Dive Outpost. Looks like it's really close to a bunch of different springs. Cathy told me about the following
Peacock / Orange Grove
Madisons Blue
Little River
Pot Springs
and Ginnie

Anyone else know of any springs that are cavern friendly within an hour or so drive from the outpost?

Excellent!

I just booked a cabin at the Dive Outpost. Looks like it's really close to a bunch of different springs. Cathy told me about the following
Peacock / Orange Grove
Madisons Blue
Little River
Pot Springs
and Ginnie

Anyone else know of any springs that are cavern friendly within an hour or so drive from the outpost?
Peacock / Orange Grove - both Cavern friendly.
Madisons Blue - Need a full cave diver or instructor with you if you're only cavern (it's enforced by some rangers and not by others).
Little River - Has a decent cavern zone. I don't personally like the cave (except 1 tunnel) or cavern, but some on here love it.
Pot Springs - Sidemount cave, not open during hunting season. I've heard some have gotten in with backmount, but I don't think it's easy.
and Ginnie - The ballroom is one of the best well known cavern dives out there.

If I were cavern diving for 3 days only, I would try to hit up Jackson Blue/Hole/Twin, Peacock/Ginnie, and then Buford, traveling at night. Peacock and Ginnie can be done in the same day since Ginnie allows divers to stay until midnight. JB Hole and Twin could be hit up in one day if you rent a boat from Eds....the Mill Pond is one of the prettiest areas in the entire state IMO, you'll enjoy the scenery topside as much as the caverns.

Don't forget about Shangi-La and Gator Hole, also on the Mill Pond and with decent caverns. Then there's Morrison about an hour west of Marianna and Cypress 1/2 hour from that.

Agree with Rob...cave divers overlook Shangri-La because it doesn't have a cave most can dive. But, you miss a treat if you go to the Mill Pond and not hit Shangri-La. It is like diving in a freshwater fish tank, the cavern is small but beautiful! Go at noon when the sun is out, and it makes for some awesome pictures. I got plenty I can show you! :D

Don't forget about Shangi-La and Gator Hole, also on the Mill Pond and with decent caverns. Then there's Morrison about an hour west of Marianna and Cypress 1/2 hour from that.

No cave in Shangri-La?!? You obviously haven't looked that hard!

I think he meant that it doesn't have cave that people who aren't comfortable in sidemount caves, can dive. :D

1.) Troy Springs
2.) Ginnie Springs
3.) Devils Eye cavern ( i personnally enjoyed diving in when i was cavern certified, small but beautiful)
4.) Devils Ear, as a cavern diver you know your limits, so don't excede them, you can pretty much hang around the "galley", but don't leave light zone
5.) Blue Grotto
6.) Devils Den
7.) Jackson Blue
8.) Madison
9.) Blue Springs
10.) Manatee Springs

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom