Advice on attaching thingamabobs to the BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladyfishdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am hoping this is the right forum to ask this question. I just got certified, purchased a ScubaPro Bella BC because I love the fit, its what I used in training and I feel comfortable using it and it was a good price at the LDS. I will be doing basic rec diving, swimming in a quarry and have an advanced Open Water class coming up.

What are some suggested ways to attach stuff to the BC? The BC has air integration so no octopus needed. What kind of things do you attach to the outside of your BC and how do you attach them? I was hoping to find something in a search on SB but maybe I searched wrong and found nothing.

What things do you think you need/would like to carry?

I'm a fan of having nothing hanging and only carrying what is required for the dive. An SMB is a good piece of safety equipment and assuming you have pockets may be stowed in the pocket. A small light is good to have for looking in nooks etc and this also can be stored in a pocket. A whistle is good to have and can be attached to your BC inflator hose. Most of the smaller things hanging in dive stores for sale are unnecessary. A cutting tool is also useful, some can be attached directly to your BC of hose.

Well I see people with cutting tools and signal sausages, and other stuff I cannot tell what exactly. I was hoping to find out what types of things people do attach and how.

Knife to the inflator, using zip ties.
SMB/Reel clipped to D-ring. SMB can also be carried in pocket to reduce dangly things.
Current hook to D-ring. (I don't have one yet but I'll get one before my next trip).
PSG either tucket under the waist clasp, or held by a hose clamp, attached by D-ring.

It's fairly common to have a rattler attached to a shoulder D-ring, and/or other signaling tools(including a whistle for surface signaling).

Well I see people with cutting tools and signal sausages, and other stuff I cannot tell what exactly. I was hoping to find out what types of things people do attach and how.

Just saw your reply as I added more. See above.

I would carry the following:

SMB
Whistle
Cutting device
Light

Actually, my understanding is that it's poor form to have a load of gear hanging off your BC to tangle and perhaps contact coral. I have a J-knife in sheath that attaches parallel to the left shoulder strap and is held tight. I've got a single mesh pouch that clips tight to the BC. It contains 2 mesh bags (different sizes) that I use to collect garbage during my dives (yeah, I'm a boy scout - leave it in better shape than when you got there). Finally, on the right shoulder strap I have an octo holder ( Skum-Ball Octopus Holder with Clip?&& ) for the 2nd stage of my pony. The pony is clipped tight horizontally across the bottom of the BC. Everything else (SMB, light, reel, etc.) is in the BC pockets. Knife strapped to my right calf.

Of all my equipment I consider the pony the most essential. To grasp why take a look at this video or at least read the short text below the vid Solo Diving- Coming out of the Closet on Vimeo

I try not to have anything dangling, however I do use a pointer for stabilizing but prefer keeping everything in a pocket. I recently started to use a BPW and have a Dive Rite thigh pocket which is very useful.

I am hoping this is the right forum to ask this question. I just got certified, purchased a ScubaPro Bella BC because I love the fit, its what I used in training and I feel comfortable using it and it was a good price at the LDS. I will be doing basic rec diving, swimming in a quarry and have an advanced Open Water class coming up.

What are some suggested ways to attach stuff to the BC? The BC has air integration so no octopus needed. What kind of things do you attach to the outside of your BC and how do you attach them? I was hoping to find something in a search on SB but maybe I searched wrong and found nothing.

For getting started in a quarry you will not need or want much.

1) it's always good practice to carry cutting tools, preferably more than 1. This is in case you find yourself tangled in some stray rope, fishing line, etc. Make them 2 differest styles like snips and a knife or knife and a Z (razor) cutter. This covers different types of material and gives you something of a second chance if you drop your first choice or if you cannot reach that item on your body. Some items come with holsters that strap on, clip on or can possibly store in a pocket. Remember though that they need to be readilly accesible.

2) You will want at least a nice mid sized light for looking into dim spaces. This will become your back-up light if you get into night diving I use a medium sized bolt snap and a 1-1/2" split ring to attach it to my right shoulder. I have just enough reach to turn it on and use it with rarely a need to detach it. I dnl;t use the lanyard at all.

3) In a quarry where people are apt to be around a whistle can be handy.

4) Wetnotes or a slate in a pocket may be handy or fun to communicate or capture a thought or observation.

For starters that's all I can really see you needing to bring into the water. As you moce to open water a safety sausage and maybe a spool could be handy. Also catch bag for things you may find but the quarry is probably picked clean.

Keep it simple and avoid the urge to become a walking dive shop

Pete

+1 for all above.

Light on bolt snap
Knife strapped on leg or attached to BCD
Whistle clipped to BCD
Mirror in pocket
Safety Sausage in pocket or clipped

I view this as a minimum for all dives.

And I recommend taking them on all dives, even quarry, to get accustomed to carrying, their location and use.

I'd just tell Thingamabob to get his own BCD :D

If the stuff can't go in a pocket or you don't prefer to have it in a pocket, most folks attach will attach the item to the D-rings using pistol bolt snaps (no suicide snaps = no snaps that can click shut w/o your activing attaching them). A whistle can go on a string around the inflation hose, a knife can go on the inflation hose or on a sleeve/upper arm.

When I use a BCD I use bolt snaps to attched the SMB+finger spool and another to clip on my pressure gauge/console so the hose hangs tight along my side. I also use the BCD rings to clip on a flashlight or reel if needed.

REMEMBER: When entering the water with a splash, use hands or arms restrain anything that might bounce up and hit you in the face!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom