Advice on Best "resort dive" for trophy boyfriend who is not certified???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi There,
I am going to Cozumel for a few days, and won't have time to get my guy certified. Are there any good resort/or shallow dives that can be done without certification that you can recommend? It seems I did one like that a few years ago in Mexico before I was certified? What and where would you recommend?
Thanks,
Missy.:blinking:

Chankanaab Park offers resort dives. Not sure the cost, and you also have to pay an entry fee. The dives are from the beach and 25-30 feet max. The topside instruction was short, as you would expect, but we felt secure in the water.

This is where my wife and I did our first dives together in February 2005. We loved it. When we got back stateside, we began looking for a cert class. By the end of March, we were OW certified. We dive Cozumel every year since then, and will be there next week during Carnival.

Last edited:
If memory serves most of the larger places offer the resort course and they will take you out to Paridisio or to the park. Both are fine dives for someone just getting their feet wet... literally.

Quite a few operators will offer a "resort course."

I take it you're not too worried about bending this boyfriend and are willing to replace him if he becomes irreparably broken after a serious diving injury?

My nephew will be taking a PADI weekend course just before we go to Cozumel in 2 weeks. Is it comparable to the 8-week NAUI course my wife and I took back in 1980? Of course not, but that was overkill for recreational diving. A quick course at home followed by referral checkout dives is vastly safer than a "resort course." Cozumel diving tends to be deeper than many other places and the current can pose challenges to novices who've never even had a class.

Are you sure you can't get him trained? Are you sure it's worth it if you can't?

Quite a few operators will offer a "resort course."

I take it you're not too worried about bending this boyfriend and are willing to replace him if he becomes irreparably broken after a serious diving injury?

My nephew will be taking a PADI weekend course just before we go to Cozumel in 2 weeks. Is it comparable to the 8-week NAUI course my wife and I took back in 1980? Of course not, but that was overkill for recreational diving. A quick course at home followed by referral checkout dives is vastly safer than a "resort course." Cozumel diving tends to be deeper than many other places and the current can pose challenges to novices who've never even had a class.

Are you sure you can't get him trained? Are you sure it's worth it if you can't?

I'm not a fan of resort courses, either. In cert classes they beat you over the head with all the myriad ways you can kill yourself diving so that by the time you go out for real, you have a healthy respect for the risks you are managing. Also, as a certified diver, the sites you can dive around Cozumel are much better than the places they will take you on a resort course.

We first visited Coz on a cruise ship and did their introduction to dive excursion. We spent about 30 minutes under a palapa looking at a flip chart and listening to a broken-English SCUBA presentation mostly consisting of jokes with innuendo.

We then dove off the beach and went to no more than about 20'. The bottom was all sandy with a few shells here and there, but the feeling of breathing underwater and seeing the odd trash fish was exhilarating. We got certified as soon as we got home and have been back to Coz numerous times for extended days of diving.

You might want to ask around and see where the cruise ships send those people. It beat the heck out of diving in a swimming pool.

Well I'm not sure what a few days is but with some pre course work done before arrival and depending on how much of an aptitude the chap in question has for diving he could get certified while there.
6-7 hours of daily work with some pre course reading and watching the DVD's that now accompany some courses could easily get someone certified over a long weekend.

Hi There,
I am going to Cozumel for a few days, and won't have time to get my guy certified. Are there any good resort/or shallow dives that can be done without certification that you can recommend? It seems I did one like that a few years ago in Mexico before I was certified? What and where would you recommend?
Thanks,
Missy.:blinking:

I think you have to be at least 14 to take a resort diving course. Is he 14? Also,is blinking a Dutch name? Just askin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom