Advice on Buying Used SCUBA Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The seller says the equipment is 10 years old and is in good shape. . . . She is asking $250.
The MR12 is a good first stage. The Voltex is an OK second stage, and can probably be serviced without a problem. For 10 y.o. mid-line gear, the price is high. Does a Mares XS BCD fit YOU? I would leak check it before buying - fill it, stick it in a bath tub and see if it has obvious leaks, then let it sit overnight to see how well it holds air. If the BCD doesn't leak, and she is willing to part with the gear for $100 (and you are willing to a) go out in public with a pink scuba bag, and b) wear a pink BCD), 'do the deal'.

Look, I'm an Aussie, and down here we don't talk bull crap. If you turned up for a dive with a pink BCD like that, I would automatically assume you were a raging homosexual (not that there is anything wrong with that, its just what I would assume). If you don't mind taking the time convincing people that your straight, then go for it. Just remember that if you're looking for a girlfriend, and theres this chick who is absolutely bangin' in your dive club - she is going to think you're gay.
Just my honest opinion. Tis what it is.

Safe Diving,
Bryce.

Purchase used at a cost of $250. may cost you another $250.-$300. to service and replace missing depth gauge. Or instead of depth gauge replace with a computer at a cost of around $300.(total invested now $800.+).
May have to replace hoses that are 10+ years old, another $35.per hose...so all costs involved can top $800.+ and you now have 10 year old gear near or more than the cost of what new gear is.
Here in NY we have people walking into the LDS and donating gear of that vintage to us . Not much we do with it except either trash it or if in working condition we donate it to a boy scout group here. Last week an older gentleman walked in with lime green gear bag with lime green gear in it=bcd-regulator-console=alt air source-wet suit+.....Donated............We have a brand new gear package on display for sale priced at around $889. consist of oceanic bcd/ regulator/alt air source/ oceanic console with computer..list at $1300+.So buying new at almost used price is possible.

Look, I'm an Aussie, and down here we don't talk bull crap. If you turned up for a dive with a pink BCD like that, I would automatically assume you were a raging homosexual (not that there is anything wrong with that, its just what I would assume). If you don't mind taking the time convincing people that your straight, then go for it. Just remember that if you're looking for a girlfriend, and theres this chick who is absolutely bangin' in your dive club - she is going to think you're gay.
Just my honest opinion. Tis what it is.

Safe Diving,
Bryce.

Did you consider the OP might be a female?

:confused:
Words cannot express... :banghead:
Don't know why I thought it was a dude, must of misread something lol

You missed the point. If you find something impossible or expensive to fix with used equipment, tough luck. Plus this is an inexperienced diver on a first equipment purchase, who is unlikely to be able to evaluate the serviceability of the used equipment without help.

Sure there are risks with used gear. But the savings can more than off-set any risks for the knowledgeable shopper (get help if needed). It is not like regulators need ever "wear out". My first regs were new and I still regret it. My favorite regs are 20+ years old. A knowledgeable shopper with opportunity to inspect the equipment should be able to get a great deal thanks to the industry working so hard to undermine the value of used gear.

Was your first car new or used?

I have lots of equipment purchased used, tanks, pony bottles, regs, computers, probably more used than new. But as a newbee I made some costly mistakes on used equipment. The OP seemed headed in that direction with the proposed purchase.

Back
Top Bottom