Advice on diving at Tenkiller next month?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrumpyOldGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning on spending a week at Tenkiller with the boat and family next month. I have read about the dive park and it does sound interesting, at least when the vis is not wiped out.

Anyone dive there lately with a report on conditions?

Any advice for a traveling diver?

Thanks!

Grumpyoldguy the reports are looking promising. There have been reports that at least above the thermocline has improved dramasticly. These are unconfirmed reports but there are several people beginning to report this so it may be so. If you want a dive partner me and the gang will be out there quiet a bit so your welcome to dive with us. Check us out at Tulsa Aquanauts (Tulsa, OK) - Meetup there are now over 300 members in the group so your bound to find good information and great dive partners there too!

My wife and I dove the Scuba park last Sunday. It has definitely improved in the last couple of months. Be advised due to the flooding it broke the bouy line and instead of putting out new cable I think they just used what was left of the old one and the bouy line is closer in, so if you surface away from shore you may end up outside the bouys. We stayed at around 25 feet and the vis was about 5-10 ft. Also, you can pick up a map of the dive park at the visitors center there. You might also consider the island just across the channel from the dive park, it is a popular dive site.

Thanks to both of you.

How is the water temp?

Okay, let me try this again after hitting the wrong button. To tell you the truth I wasn't paying too much attention to the temp of the water, other than to say that the thermocline is about 20 or so feet. I was using a 3mm and was perfectly comfortable in it at about that depth. It was a little warm for me up above that with the wetsuit on. If you have something more than a 3mm you probably want to go deeper. I suggest exploring the plane and helicopter which are in deeper water. If I remember right the bus, plane, and helicopter are on a 240 degree azimuth from the old boat ramp. I hope this is helpful.

We spent the weekend at Ten Killer and although my husband complained that the Viz and fishes sucked compared to those glorious reef adventures, but I really enjoyed it although the viz was bad at several points it was much improved over Beaver Lake. We stayed at the State Park and really enjoyed the cabins, basic but then again we traveled with the dogs so it is good not to stay any place too nice. I would say the viz averaged about 5-6 feet and was warm til about 45-50 in a 3 mil.

Thanks y'all for the informative post. I had to change my plans at the last minute (boat issues, arghhhh...) and will try Tenkiller in a few months when the vis clear up a bit more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom