Advice on Diving Channel Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water temp at Anacapa were:

1. Landing Cove = 63-F at depth up to 60-ft.
2. Cathedral Cove = 58-F at depth up to 50-ft.

Viz were about the same. I'd be generous at 15-ft estimation. More realistically at 10-ft.

Sorry for the hijack. :wink: You'll have a GREAT time! Galapagos is awesome. (Although I had a pretty bad experience diving there, it was due to having picked the wrong land-based dive op!)

(And now back to our topic...)

Dyanne, it looks like Peace out of Ventura is a no-go for the 3rd - they're on a 3-day trip. But if you can go Sunday (the 4th), they're going to Anacapa, which is almost always easy sites. It looks like it's a charter from Malibu Divers, so there will probably be students onboard - a good option for you. You'd have to contact Malibu Divers directly to book, since it's a charter. Malibu Divers

Both Spectre and Explorer out of Ventura are going out on the 3rd. Spectre is doing 4 dives at Anacapa/Santa Cruz (they'll pick which island that day), and Explorer is doing 3 dives at Anacapa. I'd go for Spectre myself - both trips are $120, but you get one more dive on Spectre. I was on them last Saturday and all four dive sites were easy and shallow. You can book them here: CalBoat Diving

Good luck!

thanks for the reply.. btw.. i'm Dyanne's cousin and i'll be joining her. We went ahead and booked Spectre for saturday 4 dives for $120.. can't wait!
Thanks for all the info everybody

thanks for the reply.. btw.. i'm Dyanne's cousin and i'll be joining her. We went ahead and booked Spectre for saturday 4 dives for $120.. can't wait!
Thanks for all the info everybody

Awesome! You'll have a wonderful time. Here's a link to a post with some great advice on diving the Spectre: Linky

Also, I personally would recommend ordering the chicken for lunch, rather than the tri-tip. I found the tri-tip to be a bit tough/chewy, but it might just have been a bad cut that day. Anyway, take that for what it's worth.

Oh, and one more thing - watch out for that giant stride - it's a looong way down! :wink:

Also, I personally would recommend ordering the chicken for lunch, rather than the tri-tip. I found the tri-tip to be a bit tough/chewy, but it might just have been a bad cut that day. Anyway, take that for what it's worth.

Oh, and one more thing - watch out for that giant stride - it's a looong way down! :wink:

You are not alone in preferring the chicken. I like beef, but I don't care for flank steak, london broil or tri tips just because of the toughness of the meat. It ain't a bad cut because these cuts are not primo meats anyway.

Love the giant stride off the Spectre and the Great Escape. COWABUNGA, DUDE!!!

IMG_6440-1.jpg

we really enjoyed the Spectre, I am sure you will, too. They also have (at least they did a few years ago when we were on the boat) a menu that you can order from and pay if you don't like the free lunch items. They also have stuff you can buy (sodas, snacks, beer) and you just sign on the sheet with your tank spot number. You pay for all your extras at the end of the day. At least that is the way the Spectre used to be. Be sure to take enough cash with you for those extras and tip for the crew.

robin:D

Ain't that the truth. Last Saturday we were on Spectre to Santa Cruz, and the channel was ROCKIN like crazy, to the point where there were multiple people feeding the fishies. But the moment we passed Smugglers, the seas were as calm as bathwater. However, all the dive sites in that area were ripping current so we headed further up the backside and found a couple of completely still spots. Later that afternoon we came back down, and the spots that were rippin' in the morning were completely calm and still by the afternoon.

We're taking our sailboat out to Santa Cruz Is. for the whole week next week, and we're praying for conditions good enough to be able to completely circle the island, hitting a different anchorage each night. We're bringing our tanks & gear and hope to get in a few dives, but with just the two of us, moving position isn't so easy. If we end up at anchorages with current, no diving. We'll just have to see how it goes, and pray that the gods of the sea smile down on us and give us at least a few calm anchorages. :)

Editing to add - Mike I see you're going to Galapagos - I was there in October! Where ya staying? Where ya diving?

That sounds nice. Will there be any pix? topside/underwater?

That sounds nice. Will there be any pix? topside/underwater?

I certainly hope so! I just spent an absolutely stupid amount of money on a new camera, UW housing, and strobe. Hoping to work on my underwater photography skills next week when were out at Santa Cruz...provided the sea gods give us at least a couple of calm anchorages.

I certainly hope so! I just spent an absolutely stupid amount of money on a new camera, UW housing, and strobe. Hoping to work on my underwater photography skills next week when were out at Santa Cruz...provided the sea gods give us at least a couple of calm anchorages.

oooooh what did u get? i'm interested in stepping up my underwater photography skills eventually. All i have now is a Canon SD with a canon UW housing. Pictures dont turn out too well unless i'm in really clear water. Probably just my user error.

Well the camera itself is actually a couple generations old - it's a Canon G9, which was released in 2007. It was replaced first by the G10, and more recently the G11. But from what I understand, the improvements in the newer releases are not really worth all the extra money it would have cost me to get one, as opposed to this new-in-box G9. The G9 gets outstanding reviews for underwater photos. I got the Canon housing for the camera. I also ordered a brand-new Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe, and Ultralight arms/brackets/clamps.

I'm very new to underwater photography...well, not new to taking photos underwater, but new to trying to actually learn what I'm doing and take it to the next level! The key is lighting - you really won't ever be able to take great shots with the internal flash; an external strobe will make a huge difference. Plus, it's important to use the manual settings, not the Auto mode, and set them to the optimum settings for what you are trying to do (macro, wide-angle etc.). But I am JUST at the beginning of my learning curve on this. Here's a link to an awesome site, owned by by a local diver I've known for a few years: Underwater Photography Guide There is a staggering amount of useful information on here, all for free! Enjoy!

we really enjoyed the Spectre, I am sure you will, too. They also have (at least they did a few years ago when we were on the boat) a menu that you can order from and pay if you don't like the free lunch items. They also have stuff you can buy (sodas, snacks, beer) and you just sign on the sheet with your tank spot number. You pay for all your extras at the end of the day. At least that is the way the Spectre used to be. Be sure to take enough cash with you for those extras and tip for the crew.

robin:D

They still do that, depending on which LDS charters their boat. Some LDS only wanted the trip and air fills but nothing else, so if you want grubs & drink, you'd have to pay extra. To me that's not economical because you'd end up paying a lot more than just getting the whole shebang.

Back
Top Bottom