Hawaii - looking for specific feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Psavio63

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

We live in Belgium/Europe and this summer, we will be travelling to the Hawaiian Islands from July 21 till August 13
Our 3.5 weeks chill/relaxed planning is already worked out except for the diving.

Having done some homework online, I understand diving there is "different" and more important to us, summer is the period with the best viz.
We will visit these 4 Islands in this order (Ohau - Kauai - Big Island - Big Island - Maui).

However, as there is so much stuff to see/do + this (probably...) being our once in a lifetime trip to the Islands (22h of travel !), I was looking at limiting diving to 1 single island and this is exactly where I would really appreciate to receive your specific feedback.

1. Which single island would you suggest
2. Which dive sites would you suggest
3. Which dive company would you suggest
4. any other tips & tricks you would like to share ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your kind answers.

Peter

Good morning, this sounds like a great trip!

I’d probably suggest the Big Island. Its home to the world-famous Manta Ray night dive and also has some nice shore dives.

The following link has a listing of dive sites and operators along with ratings, reviews, and pictures from divers. Have a great trip!

Hawaii Dive Sites & Dive Shops

I have not dove Maui or Kauai, but between Oahu and the Big Island, I would definitely choose the Big Island if you're picking just one. The variety of diving is much greater than on Oahu in my experience, though it is a bit more expensive.

I agree with @TheScubaDirectory that the Manta Dive is a "must do." Our preferred operator is Kona Honu Divers, though Kona Diving Company has been good to us in the past as well. There are many shore dive sites available -- Kona Honu Divers has many referenced on their website and is good for tank and weight rentals as well. A few you may want to consider are Two Step, Old Airport, Alula Beach (aka Dog Beach) and, if you're staying up north of Kona, Puako End-of-Road.

If you are new to the area and it's conditions I would say Maui. Lots of great spots to try and very easy access. The local shop offer a dive site map, some you can download.

So the Big Island manta dive is a must do! I think Hawaii has the most octopus of any place. My wife and I go to Hawaii a couple times a year. We decided a few years ago to not dive in Hawaii any more as the cost is just to much. We think the most expensive in the world. Our new favorite place is the Phillipines, we have been there twice in the last 6 months. We love all of Asia for diving.

So the Big Island manta dive is a must do! I think Hawaii has the most octopus of any place. My wife and I go to Hawaii a couple times a year. We decided a few years ago to not dive in Hawaii any more as the cost is just to much. We think the most expensive in the world. Our new favorite place is the Phillipines, we have been there twice in the last 6 months. We love all of Asia for diving.
Gary, thanks for your reaction.

We also really love ASIA for various reasons, nice people, culture, cheap, great food, great & cheap diving etc etc..
We have already visited Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, Cambodia, Malaysia and will be going to Hong Kong & Vietnam in Feb 2024.

I dove Manta Point in Nusa Lembongan (off Bali/Indonesia) during daytime which is actually a cleaning station with great viz and up to 20 Manta coming in and out at a time. For HI, we have booked the night snorkel (my wife doesn't dive) which seems pretty unique.

However, my main question remains, besides the high cost, comparing to Asia, do you think I will enjoy diving in HI ?

Kr
Peter

We go to Kauai every year, and dive each time. Have not gone diving on any other islands. If you do Kauai, consider the trip to Niihau with Fathom Five divers. Full disclosure: we have not done this trip but want to go in the worst way. Fathom Five does a great job with other diving on Kauai as well.

Niihau (aka The Forbidden Island) is off limits to anyone except the residents of the island, who number only around 200. It is off the NW coast of Kauai, and takes 2 h to get there. It is totally undeveloped and the diving there is reportedly fabulous. We are planning to dive the Mana Crack in August with Explore Scuba Kauai.

BTW, if you need advice regarding other things to do on Kauai feel free to PM me. We have a place there so are very familiar with the island.

Gary, thanks for your reaction.

We also really love ASIA for various reasons, nice people, culture, cheap, great food, great & cheap diving etc etc..
We have already visited Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, Cambodia, Malaysia and will be going to Hong Kong & Vietnam in Feb 2024.

I dove Manta Point in Nusa Lembongan (off Bali/Indonesia) during daytime which is actually a cleaning station with great viz and up to 20 Manta coming in and out at a time. For HI, we have booked the night snorkel (my wife doesn't dive) which seems pretty unique.

However, my main question remains, besides the high cost, comparing to Asia, do you think I will enjoy diving in HI ?

Kr
Peter

Hi Peter, I think you’ll like it, but find it very different from Asia. There’s not a lot of great coral in Hawaii, it was lately killed off by sugar cane run off many years ago. That said, in many places you stand a good chance of seeing big fish. Which is why I like the Molokini Crater off of Maui - you never know what you’ll see there. On one dive I saw seven species of sharks. I particularly like the “backside” dive site of it, though that is considered an advanced site and not always offered.

As for booking the night snorkel on the big island. I did that with my son and we were disappointed- we caught a glimpse of one or two mantas, but it was just a flash. I believe the dove is much more successful at seeing them than the snorkel. I’ve dove Oahu, the big island, and Maui, and in my opinion maui is the best. You can also find a shop that will leave from Maui to do the Cathedrals off of Lanai - which is special as well.

Back
Top Bottom