Advice on Diving Channel Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok, so i'd like to get some info/opinions from some more veteran divers.

Looks like there have been great white shark sightings by the channel islands. Word is they've been chewing on the sea lions, but lots of beaches have closed access due to this. Should we be worried or what should we know for our trip this weekend?

Take a camera and hope they come by! Seriously, unless you are a surfer or otherwise look like a sea lion, they should not bother you. There have always been great whites out here, just not where anyone sees them consistently. They were seen off Malibu last year. Feeding off Santa Barbara Island (where the sea lion rookery is) should not be a surprise: that's like Home Town Buffet for them!

I'll be up there for three days next weekend, camera in hand! Remember, you only have to swim faster than your buddy!

Take a camera and hope they come by! Seriously, unless you are a surfer or otherwise look like a sea lion, they should not bother you. There have always been great whites out here, just not where anyone sees them consistently. They were seen off Malibu last year. Feeding off Santa Barbara Island (where the sea lion rookery is) should not be a surprise: that's like Home Town Buffet for them!

I'll be up there for three days next weekend, camera in hand! Remember, you only have to swim faster than your buddy!

haha cool, thanks for the info. I did have a quick experience with some reef sharks in St Maarten couple months ago.

"Looks like there have been great white shark sightings by the channel islands. Word is they've been chewing on the sea lions, but lots of beaches have closed access due to this. Should we be worried or what should we know for our trip this weekend? "

Where did you get this info? What beaches are closed, i live near the malibu coast and have not heard anything on closures.....The Islands are 11 miles offshore at the closest point, what nuts would close beaches on a Holiday weekend because of sharks offshore, afterall it is the ocean.

The only reason I'd stay out of the water is the Massive surf scheduled for Sunday

we were out diving at Anacapa from the Spectre one day a few years ago when a boat radioed our Capt and told him that there was a great white sighted near the rookery. He just moved the boat to a site on the other side of the island, we all still went diving, and didn't hear about it until we got back. Honestly, I would have loved to be in the water if a great white was swimming around... with 30 other divers in the water, plus alot of sea lions, I think my odds were pretty good. :D

robin

"Looks like there have been great white shark sightings by the channel islands. Word is they've been chewing on the sea lions, but lots of beaches have closed access due to this. Should we be worried or what should we know for our trip this weekend? "

Where did you get this info? What beaches are closed, i live near the malibu coast and have not heard anything on closures.....The Islands are 11 miles offshore at the closest point, what nuts would close beaches on a Holiday weekend because of sharks offshore, afterall it is the ocean.

The only reason I'd stay out of the water is the Massive surf scheduled for Sunday

I don't know if or which beaches were closed, but here are some linkys

Linky 1

Linky 2

Of course if you see this, you may want to exit the water:

01.jpg

:D

LOL @ Merxlin's pic...

I really hope I dont see anything close to that on Sat.... :D

Really excited about going out on the Spectre. Thanks for all the responses from everyone.
I was wondering if any of you readers are going to be going out with us this weekend? Post! It'd be cool to meet some of you!!

LeeAnne,

Good deal. The G9 is a good camera. Start out with the one strobe and graduate to 2 strobes also stay with TTL. Your right about the lighting but exposure is also important. Set the camera to aperture mode. Set f stop to 5.6 or 8.0 and then adjust around it to get the blues and deep colors you are looking for. If you get real excited, stay with program mode or auto. Always remember, get close and then get closer! Have fun and fill up the card.

I can't believe the tri-tip was tough I go on that boat a lot & have never had a tough piece yet unless it was a well done piece. The tri-tip is awesome.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom