Advice on diving early Nov, looking for whale sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrysys

Registered
Reaction score
Interested in diving thailand in november. Wanted to know 1) any recent trip reports to Burma, and if it's worth the cost 2) top recommendations for a nicer live aboard to go around the similans, and 3) slightly broader questions of where one can find whale sharks in November.

Thanks

1) The attraction of Burma is that there are relatively few dive boats on the dive sites there. It is quite an extra expense to dive up there, particularly given that most boats doing Burma only dedicate a part of the trip to the area, spending the rest of the time in Thai waters.
2) What do you mean by "nicer"? A Peter Hughes-type vessel? Or something more workaday?
3) We don't see whale sharks with any regularity lately, so while you may be one of the lucky few who do see one, it's difficult to say when and where with any sort of confidence. Last month there were sightings near Phi Phi; they are sometimes seen in the Hin Daeng area; and they are also sometimes seen at Richelieu Rock in the Surins.

Best time for whalesharks in that area is later in the season, March-April, not November. Also November is too early for manta rays BTW, but you never know.

I do personally not recommend Burma trips, too many people have come back and do still come back disappointed. Because of the quite substantial extra expenses they expect an unspoilt area. And above the surface it is unspoilt, under water though it is not, too much dynamite fishing has been going on and is still going on, as has other reef destruction.

Nice and good value boats for Similans would be e.g. Hallelujah, Giamani, Pawara, White Manta and Nautica, with the latter also offering trips to Burma.

On whale sharks: I have considerable live aboard experience beginning in the 1990s in the Similan and Surin Islands and the Mergui Archipelago (Burma). I saw my first Manta Rays early this year. I've never seen a Whale Shark, but I've always had fun!

I concur on Burma...it was one of the best trips I ever did...above the water. Below, well, it was meh.

It is also much more remote than people expect - so from a safety point of view, it is quite an issue and so few boats carry satellite phones or enough oxygen.

musandam in oman is becoming quite a hidden hot spot for whale sharks, we've been sighting 2-3 per weekend in the region.
thats basically 4-5 operators out only , so roughly 100 pax a day so im sure there are dozens more to be found:)

here's a short video, managed to get 2 whale sharks in the last 2 weeks, the rest are from last yr, with some stock footage from earlier this yr as well

typically season is usually june till october, but i believe a few sightings pop up afterwards, but who knows , this yr has surely seen a surge from 2011!

viz isnt always the best but sure as hell is fun diving and good value for money compared to other exotic locations in the world.

For me, its an hour drive so im a happy man. Enjoy.

https://vimeo.com/47163909

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom