Advice on diving in Thailand -- both Ko Tao and Andaman side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Junction

Great safety record.
Good fun staff.
Quality training.

Known them for years always striving to be a bit better than the rest.

E Mail K info@scubajunction.com

then see for yourself.

Unfortunatelly, Hin Mouang is only a shadow of it's former glory due to a thermocline phenomena that occured in the 2007 season. It killed pretty much all of the soft coral on Hin Mouang (and some on Hin Daeng) and it is now only a barren brownish rock. Naturally it has also affected some the reef living marine life. Regrowth has started in places, but it will take a very long time before it comes close to the world class site it used to be. Just so you know what to expect from that site. It can still be worth it though, because there are quite some manta sighting out there and Hin Daeng is pretty intact in places (but was never as spectacular as Hin Mouang inmo). But more of a hit and miss affair in the coming years.

Good luck

Christian

I'm so sad to hear that. How tragic it is to hear of more dead coral. Thanks for lettling me know. I have the most recent edition of Lonely Planet's "Diving Thailand" (dated 2007, I believe) and it doesn't mention it. The info is particularly good to know, as I've noted that a day trip out to those sights (from Koh Lanta) costs quite a bit for just 2 dives.

I'm curious if you (or any readers) have been to Koh Lipe recently and can tell me how the dive sights are around there. I'm drawn to it because it seems less crowded than the more northern islands on the Andaman side and the diving seems to cost a bit less.

Thanks again for your message Christian.

Miu

I will try to refrain from getting on my Hin Daeng/Muang soap box, but see...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/thailand/187343-dead-coral-hin-daeng-ko-ha-4.html

That pretty much details my thoughts on the place from the last 18 months.

Ko Lipe is OK. Did 4 days diving there in March 07 from liveaboard as part of our schedule and enjoyed it. There was nothing that blew me away and the vis was pretty so so, especially inside the islands. Lots of nice small stuff but not so much in the way of fish....the prevailance of fish traps and lines on the sites explains that one away. Maybe they've managed to stop that by now. 8 mile rock was pretty nice but deep and prone to current, as a guide I would advise it's really only suitable for advanced and/or experienced divers.

The islands themselves were very chilled, but from what I understand have a very limited ferry schedule through low season. Beautiful place, very scenic. Also, the dive sites are very quiet....always nice.

On another note, I'll bet that the lonely planet dive book tells you that Richelieu is the best place in Thailand for whale sharks. Don't believe everything you read.....including me. Always get a second opinion!!

Hin Daeng's still awesome !! Had mantas much more often than not last season, and the coral and other life is still good. Check out Pimalai Divers - closest place to Hin Daeng and have a fast and comfortable boat (hour and a half-ish). Lanta a nice island too. Nice and chilled out - not as claustrophoic as Phi-Phi or Phuket (IMO)..........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom