advice on first and second stage ScubaPro regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D_B,

I know very well that SP will continue making parts for their older/EoL regulators for years to come but my point is if the regulator isn't going to be on their current regulator list and there are newer regulators, why bother buying something that is not in production anymore (if you are looking to buy a used regulator, then it is something else)??

(I don't like to look back)

Oops .. My understanding was not one of them continuing to make parts for older regs, it's that they design the new ones so that many of the new parts fit the older models
(I do understand about the EOL thing though, I would be reluctant to purchase something in that catigory too, it just that I think maybe this might/may be slightly different)
My reg was brand new

D_B,

I get your point now, thanks. What you are saying adds "value" to SP product line since one is assured that the regulator they buy new today (current model) will be upgradable with new parts even if and when SP retires that products years down the line. I still believe that one should buy a current model not one that has been retired/EoL. (I think that you believe the same).

I just took a look at the regulators on SP's site, I'd go with the mk11 - c300 system. Although the G250 is/was a great regulator, if SP is discounting it, there is no reason to go after an EoL regulator.

The C300 should be the best performing of the listed choices. BUT, I might be a little hesitant to be a beta tester for a "new" Scubapro design unless you will have good Scubapro shop support at your destination. Cant tell yet how much of the C300 is really new versus how much it is a repackaging of the G250 or X650.

So is this all that your shop stocks, or are you sticking to a certain price point?
yep, sticking to price point.

thanks for the replies guys. So at the moment I guess the opinion is that the the most expensive combination is the best and the cheapest is no good due to it being unregulated.

has anyone experience of diving the r395 vs the c300 ? can the r395 be tuned by a reg tech to be as good as the c300?

The c300 includes two adjustment knobs to adjust the SS the way you want. One knob for cracking pressure and one for venturi. The r395 has only one for venturi. I'd go for the c300.

What is the price for each btw?

actually just checked and the price difference is less than I thought. c300 is about 25% more expensive, but thats only about £40($60). The guy from my local shop said I can pop in and try them all for myself so will report back.

but yeah, looking like the m11 / c300 combo at the moment.

Reactions: D_B
will do - they are closed till tuesday so will report back then :popcorn:

Better still: ask permission to take the cover/diaphragm of the C300 off, snap a few pics and post it here. I wonder it they learned the lesson and stick to a metal barrel, or have they reverted back to plastic.

Back
Top Bottom