Advice on scuba equipment purchase...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I got Certified last October I was in a hurry to buy my gear.

I looked online and at the LDS when I was certified.

Then I found a LDS closer to my home so I checked them out. The owner was great, he asked me what kind of dives I was interested in and if I had any issues during my Cert Dives. Together we picked out a gear package that addressed my Claustrophibic concerns. Sure I spent more than I would have on one of the internet bargian packs but I have to say it was well worth it.

During my week long diving honeymoon in the Philippines (Subic Bay), I never had an issue and the local DiveMasters were impressed with both my gear and my comfort level in it. I was at the LDS's pool at least 6 - 8 times before getting on the plane just getting comfortable in the new gear.

Even though the LDS will cost you more, you can't put a price on the relationship you build with them. I just dumped another large wad on additional gear (hoseless computer, 2nd AL80 AL30 Pony bottle, weights, camera... the list goes on) and will be continuing my training with them.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL DIVE SHOP, they're the ones who will be there when you really need them.

I won't say outloud that a BCD is a waste of time.. damn, I just did! Some people actually like BCDs over the BP/W setup (I'm not one of them). I bought a BCD and it wasn't bad; it was comfortable, easy to use, sufficient. I finally purchased a DSS BP/W and haven't looked back. Now my almost new BCD hangs in the closet, forgotten, looking for someone to purchase it. :D I wish I had went with the BP/W originally and saved the money. :shakehead:

I agree with Shaka and Squid.

BCD is a waste of time....go straight to the BP/W and save yourself that money right off the bat.
Now you tell me. :wink: I also bought my gear twice. You can buy a BC and be perfectly happy, as long as you don't have to dive with other divers who have BP/W's, and after watching them, want one of your own.

But any gear starts to look good after a few times renting. Having your own stuff that's set up and adjusted just for you is really nice. However, if you're just doing vacation diving once a year and a couple of local summer dives, you can rent your stuff for less than the $600. you're planning to spend without having to service and maintain the stuff while it sits in storage most of the time.

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I've decided against buying my own equipment this year due to some financial shortcomings. However my trip to St. Martin is still on and that's the good news. I will look forward to next year as far as buying my own equipment. I am in consideration of purchasing a dive camera that might set me back a few hundred but nothing compared to a full set of dive gear and I don't want to go cheap on it. Thanks for all the reply.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom