Advice on SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Cressi Sub website says there is a "front glass," but the way it describes it sounds like the usual plastic "glass."
Cressi Scuba Diving Computers & Consoles pressure gauge small light weight metal case 350 bar high quality reliable
The site also says the diameter is 50mm (2 inches), but that appears to include the protective housing.
It certainly looks like a 1.5 inch SPG!

The Cressi Sub USA website doesn't mention a "front glass" or give a size.
Cressi Underwater Electronics Instruments pressure gauge small light weight metal case 350 bar high quality reliable

Yes, a few years ago I was looking at the mini, it was definitely 1.5" gauge only. The case was also definitely plastic. I can't imagine them changing either. It also uses a thinner hose so if you wanted to swap out the hose for a custom length you'd need to ditch the boot or trim it.

I would say no boot, 2" or so call medium size brass SPG with glass face like this one:
2" Tech SPG - Dive Right in Scuba

I'll go against the grain a bit here and suggest you find an SPG that is marked for both Imperial psi and metric bar. It would help if you travel to other places in the world as well as show you have an eye toward the future when the entire Imperial system goes the way of the dodo. Dual marked SPGs are still available (made by the same company in Italy as the others) but can be hard to find. Worth the extra few bucks.

I totally agree here. I have been looking for one but can't find it. If anyone has a source, please let me know.

I would be okay with brass and Plexi. The Plexiglass will scratch but is more impact resistent than glass. N

I totally agree here. I have been looking for one but can't find it. If anyone has a source, please let me know.

There's one branded by Promate and sold through a place called GetWet Store on both Amazon and eBay. In fact they have a couple of different models listed. They list their phone as 818-913-3359. They are made in Italy like everyone else, and they look a lot like the Manta gauges I got, so I would bet they have a plastic lens. Don't know the size, but listed as "mini". Comes with a boot, but I'm sure that can be removed.

The only problem with the dual marked units is that they can be a little harder to read because of how busy they are. Pete said that's why the OMS version was 2.5 inches. They needed the extra room. He also told be there are no plans at the current time for OMS to bring it back.

I wouldn't buy a plastic faced spg, they scratch too easily.

That is more of a problem on dry land. Under water the scratches tend to disappear.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Went with a simple brass and glass 1.5" face. Used it for the first time on two dives this weekend, I really like it. No boot, so I'm trying to be really careful out of water. I ended up zip-tying a snap hook onto the hose, but I placed it so it can't come in contact with the glass. It also allows me to read it without unclipping it. Thanks all!

I'll go against the grain a bit here and suggest you find an SPG that is marked for both Imperial psi and metric bar. It would help if you travel to other places in the world as well as show you have an eye toward the future when the entire Imperial system goes the way of the dodo. Dual marked SPGs are still available (made by the same company in Italy as the others) but can be hard to find. Worth the extra few bucks.
I have been threatened with having to learn the metric system since the late 60's and early 70's when I was in grade school. Any day now, they told us, we would be switching over. The communism never crepted that far and we were spared. :)I agree that it would help when traveling to Europe or Asia.

I have been threatened with having to learn the metric system since the late 60's and early 70's when I was in grade school. Any day now, they told us, we would be switching over. The communism never crepted that far and we were spared. :)I agree that it would help when traveling to Europe or Asia.

To say "we were spared" is to deny the superiority of the metric system
in virtually every way, as evidenced by every country that switched and embraced the ease of converting units by just moving the decimal point. Only the U.S., Liberia and Myanmar stick to the old Imperial system. We live in a worldwide community these days. And we are just stupid and lazy for not biting the bullet and converting. Kids have no problem learning it. And I would guess that you yourself have no issue with buying a 2 liter bottle of Coke instead of a half gallon. So why is it that only the soft drink industry showed the guts and foresight to convert years ago? My students don't even realize that liters are a metric measurement. They grew up with it and it is second nature. But they have no clue how many cups are in a pint or quarts in a gallon.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom