Advice - Pony/Bailout Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Purge

Contributor
Reaction score
i'd like to put together a bailout bottle and I figured I'd throw a post up to get some feedback.
I'm leaning towards a 30cuf aluminum tank with a HOG D2/Classic reg set. I'd love to hear peoples thoughts and opinions on this and hose (length/braided or not), pressure gauge recommendations, straps/rigging kit, and best way to wear it while diving. I've seen guys wear them under their left side and some wear it across the front (pros vs cons).

First of all no one who knows what they are doing wears it across the front. Std pony/stage rig for a 30 would use a 40 inch hose. I don't like braided. Abrasive to dry suit seals and wet skin. Also seems to catch the small hairs on the back of my neck. Use a 1.5 or 2 inch spg on a six inch hose. Make your own rigging with a hose clamp, length of cord, a couple bolt snaps and chunk of fuel line. Sling it on your left side.

Yeah, what Jim said. Also a consideration, if you ever have eyes on tech diving go with a 40....it can be used as a deco bottle when you get to that point.

DIR Stage Rigging in Detail
rigging right there

Rigging Stage Bottles
good article on it there

for me, 40" hose, standard WKPP style rigging, aka DIR/GUE/standard etc, whatever hose/regulator you want. I never dive with pony bottles, I go to a set of small doubles, but that's how my O2 bottles are rigged. For a pony bottle there is no need for a proper SPG, cheap little button gauge works. You need to know if it's full before the dive, and if it's empty after the dive, that's about it. Once you switch to that the dive is over and you are on your way up and out, and removing the SPG saves a lot of money *$65 minimum for a 1.5" brass and glass with 6" hose, vs $15 for a little button gauge* and a bit of clutter on the first stage.

I'd also recommend just going with the Hog D1 and Classic first stage, get them while they're still only $180, bit bigger than the D2, but you're saving a bunch of money, so you'd be in for a total regulator set for about $200. I'm sure Jim sells them with a 40" hose option

Pony Bottle Gauge (BLACK FACE) "PSI"
Hog Combo Pack 5th Port Cold 1st & SE 2nd Stage
Apparently you can actually change that to the D2 for the same $200 which is a good deal, not sure how much they do up in Canada though

Hog D1 Regulator Set - Dive Right in Scuba
Mike does send a lot of stuff up to the great white north, and he has the same pricing, but no D2 option on the website, might do it if you ask nicely over the phone or email though.

Use of the button gauge also eliminates the failure points of a rubber hose and 2 tiny o-rings.

Don't see how anyone can recommend a bottle size until the intended use is specified.

he said pony and bailout, and while 30's are nifty for this, a 40 is a bite more versatile should he decide to use it as a deco bottle down the road, and only marginally larger

I'd also recommend just going with the Hog D1 and Classic first stage, get them while they're still only $180, bit bigger than the D2, but you're saving a bunch of money, so you'd be in for a total regulator set for about $200. I'm sure Jim sells them with a 40" hose option

Pony Bottle Gauge (BLACK FACE) "PSI"
Hog Combo Pack 5th Port Cold 1st & SE 2nd Stage
Apparently you can actually change that to the D2 for the same $200 which is a good deal, not sure how much they do up in Canada though

Hog D1 Regulator Set - Dive Right in Scuba
Mike does send a lot of stuff up to the great white north, and he has the same pricing, but no D2 option on the website, might do it if you ask nicely over the phone or email though.

I would stay away from using the D1 as a stage regulator. The turret oring is only held in place by pressure and prayer so it may not be ideal for stage rigging. Anyone who went through the HOG clinic with Jack should know that. If you want to put something together yourself for staging then go to the hardware store and purchase everything you need. If you do not mind spending money on your dive gear though (which seems to be blasphemy for some reason) then get in contact with an XS SCUBA, Dive Rite, numerous other dealers and they can hook you up for around $45. My first stage bottle was a 40 and it has been the best and most versatile size I have seen.

As a side note, please try to buy local prior to jumping online for everything. It has been my experience that the folks who always suggest an online store that is not local to them are the same people that aren't welcomed in most shops.

Hmmm, seems that has been said before!!! LOL!!!!:rofl3:

Last edited:
Once you start looking at a 40 for bailout plus a full size cylinder on your back you might as well start looking at small doubles in terms of weight and bulk. They can be independent or with an isolation manifold. You can use doubles with an isolation valve like independent doubles by leaving the isolation shut.

I have a set of double 45s and 72s that are much nicer to dive than an 80 plus even a small bailout like a 19 Ft³.

Only set of doubles I have left are my 72's. Everything else is now set for sidemount. I only keep the 72's for those who want to try em out or an Intro to Tech student. There is a time and place for a large single and a slung bottle though. My advanced level class deep dive I require students to use an LP 95 or larger and a slung 30 or 40. And the slung bottle is part of the gas plan. We simulate deco on it from 50 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom