Advice re: trim please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc_Sandy

Registered
Reaction score
First pool session with a Halcyon SS BP Explorer 55 lbs. and twin E8 130s on Saturday. It went reasonably well I thought. I did not seem to have trouble managing the tanks, but I was having problems with trim. My instructor said that my body was flat from my head to my bum, but then my legs dipped down from my hips to the knees, and then my knees were flexed. I want to be flat all the way from my head to my knees with my knees flexed for an efficient frog kick.

The other problem that I noticed was that every time I tried to lift my thighs to straighten them out at the hips, I went head down. I instructor wondered if when trying to lift my hips to be parallel with my body that I was doing it by trying to tilt head down.

I was not wearing any (ditchable) weight, and had no extra weight added anywhere.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Sandy

That is a typical problem new doubles users face. Don't sweat it, you will get it. Arch your back and keep your head up, extend your feet further back but keep the fins horizontal. This will feel uncomfortable at first until you find the happy spot.

This is one of the skills you learn in a DIR Fundamentals class. Having it taught in person is much more informative than one of us trying to tell you over the 'net.

Doc_Sandy:
First pool session with a Halcyon SS BP Explorer 55 lbs. and twin E8 130s on Saturday. It went reasonably well I thought. I did not seem to have trouble managing the tanks, but I was having problems with trim. My instructor said that my body was flat for my head to my bum, but then my legs dipped down from my hips to the knees, and then my knees were flexed. I want to be flat all the way from my head to my knees with my knees flexed for an efficient frog kick.

The other problem that I noticed was that every time I tried to lift my thighs to straighten them out at the hips, that I went head down. I instructor wondered if when trying to lift my hips to be parallel with my body that I was doing it by trying to tilt head down.

I was not wearing any (ditchable) weight, and had no extra weight added anywhere.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Sandy

Slightly head down is good - that's the most streamlined position for your body. I agree with UP - arch your neck and back, relax (yeah, and how is that supposed to happen) and keep working on it - it will come to you. A spare set of eyeballs in the water with you really helps.

Welcome to the grey side. :54:

detroit diver:
This is one of the skills you learn in a DIR Fundamentals class. Having it taught in person is much more informative than one of us trying to tell you over the 'net.

True but it sounds like her instructor is working with her on it.

MikeFerrara:
True but it sounds like her instructor is working with her on it.
"Its" a him...and he won't have his DIR-F until august.

Doc_Sandy

Have you tried an Alum plate?

JeffG:
"Its" a him...and he won't have his DIR-F until august.

Doc_Sandy

Have you tried an Alum plate?

Thanks, Jeff!

I also get all the free ladie's magazine subscriptions here at the office.!

No - I have not tried an AL plate. John told me to stick with the SS plate and that we would only move to the AL plate if the steel didn't work out.

Like to get these twins under control before the course! :)

S.

Ooops. Sorry.

Doc_Sandy:
Thanks, Jeff!

I also get all the free ladie's magazine subscriptions here at the office.!

No - I have not tried an AL plate. John told me to stick with the SS plate and that we would only move to the AL plate if the steel didn't work out.

Like to get these twins under control before the course! :)

S.
Well...You can borrow my alum plate if you want to try it. I also still have enough alum for another plate.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom