Advice & suggestions for first time liveaboard?

Where should I go for first liveaboard?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomasharris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum so I need to apologise in advance is this isn't the appropriate place for this question. I appreciate any and all responses.

This coming early February my Partner and I would like to do our first liveaboard. I've been diving for a few years now (East Coast Australia (Not GBR), Mexico (West Coast), and the Andamans), I have Padi Advanced. My partner she is knew to diving and has recently completed her SSI Open Water.

We've been tossing up a few ideas, which I think might be the problem (spoilt for choice). I'm really after a nice experience (visibility, good weather, easy diving, friendly instructors) over a technical experience. 5 to 7 nights would be optimal (I think, happy to field advice though).

What we have thought about:

1. Similian Islands Thailand

- Con: Many options (some are very expensive (diva andaman) (equivalent price to Maldives)

- Con: Mixed Reviews (overcrowding, poor vis, itineraries not very thorough)

- Pro: Thailand is beautiful and relatively easy to get to from east coast AUS. Lots to do either side of liveaboard.​

2. Phillipines

- Pro/Con: Always wanted to go, but not sure what it's like. (stuff to do either side of liveaboard etc?)

- Pro: Seems well priced. Lots of options

- Bit harder to get too.​

3. Maldives

- Pro: Partner Always wanted to go.

- Con: Not much to do either side of liveaboard.

- Pro: Visibility

- Mixed Reviews

- Con: Expensive

- Expensive/hard to get too.​

4. Raja Ampat

- Pro: Highly recommended

- Pro: Liveaboards are well priced, rave reviews.

- Very hard and expensive get too.​

I'm would be happy to hear any suggestions/tips/advice. Also what I have written above may or may not be correct, its just my general position from a few days deep diving through information.

I'm especially interested in what folks think is the best place for this time of year and places I should definitely rule out because of lack of experience or poor timing.

We've also considered going locally for a liveaboard experience on the GBR, so open to suggestions there.

Much Appreciated

How many dives will your partner have had by the time of your planned trip?

Wait on Raja Ampat for awhile. And then when you do go, take a trip no less than 10 days. You'll both have a much better appreciation for the area with much more experience under your belts.

We had a great LOB in April last year in Thailand- Similan, Koh Bon, Koh Tarchai and Richelieu Rock.
We went with Similan Seven Seas and I’m considering them again for February 2020.

For a first time LOB it would be perfect, since you can do 4-5 days only, so you can get a taster to see, if you like it:)

We’re both experienced divers (DM) and have been to many places (Red Sea, Raja Ampat, Bali, Maldives, Philippines and Oman to name a few).

The highlight of the 5 day LOB in Thailand was by far Richelieu Rock, absolutely amazing colours on the reef, and so many fish.

It was also what I call “easy diving”, not a lot of current, and no “hanging around” in the blue to try to spot big guys. We did not see any whale sharks or Mantas, but still it was a great trip.

I did not find the dive sites too crowded, although there were other divers there, but we were diving in small groups - our group was my husband and me + a Korean diver together with (eagle eye) DM Tik, so we could just move away from the crowd if we needed.

Topside there’s lots to do and the food is sooo yummy.

We’re off to Maldives this Saturday, and you’re right: while we got a good deal on the LOB everything else is very expensive - the day we have after the LOB we expect to spend 90-120 us$ per person or even more.

I agree with Chilly: do Raja Ampat later.

I'd wait on the Maldives too because the currents there can be quite something.

I'd wait on the Maldives too because the currents there can be quite something.

I guess that could be said about most of the places on the list depending on the area you get dropped? We were thinking about the Scubaspa Yang, which seems like it caters to all levels

I guess that could be said about most of the places on the list depending on the area you get dropped? We were thinking about the Scubaspa Yang, which seems like it caters to all levels

I'd never experienced current like in Maldives until I went there and by then had already been to Raja Ampat once.

All that said, I've not been to your other 3 choices (except for Koh Tao in Thailand) and unable to compare from my own experience. However, have done quite a bit of reading on the other locations.

@chillyinCanada where would you recommend?

As I said, have not been to the other places but based on my reading and friends' reports, I'd go with Thailand. This answer is not just with regard to the diving. It's my impression that getting around the Phillipines can be a huge time sucker. Your partner is a new diver and will hopefully stay enthusiastic. Make the journey to the diving as easy as possible too. JMNSHO, lol

Back
Top Bottom