Advise for a travel friendly BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:sigh: humour is such a subjective thing. You asked: what is the difference between a back-inflate jacket and a bp&w other than the former's component pieces are usually (semi-)permanently attached together. It's gotta be the crotch strap, everything else's the same.

With the other thing, I really wonder is there is a correlation between preference for bp&w and general DIY'ing ability. Not everyone is comfortable experimenting with their gear, or knows how.

Not everyone is comfortable experimenting with their gear, or knows how.

Yes, a backplate & wing is quite complicated. Not like setting up a TV, putting together a computer, or assembling furniture from Ikea. Like consulting the Nerd Heard, you definitely need the Scuba Squad to help the first time. If only there were places online people could look for pictures or video or experienced help on the subject for free. Oh wait...

@dmaziuk: it was low hanging fruit; please take it as an attempt at humor.

I'm not very handy nor am I very funny, but I was able to somehow manage to put together a bp/w by myself, set up a TV by myself, put together a computer by myself, and build a ton of furniture from Ikea by myself. Of the four, setting up the TV was easiest. Setting up a bp/w was second easiest.

Sometimes it's nice to overpay for a Mac that you can pull out of the box and immediately enjoy the use of. I've done that. Sometimes it's nice to know you've selected all the best parts for your needs, shopped around for each, and built it yourself. I've done that as well.

YMMV, and I may be an outlier based upon anything in this post, other than my dashing good looks.

If I wasn’t there to set the bp/w up for her my wife would still be using her zuma. She would still be complaining about small plastic d-rings and her bc would still ride up and she would still pull it down without noticing. She would still wonder where she is supposed to clip off her spg or perhaps she would stow it in the little pocket. Instead we just bought her a second bp/w with a steel plate to live in Cozumel for her use while there.

If I wasn’t there to set the bp/w up for her my wife would still be using her zuma.

I'm yet to talk mine into trying mine. We got as far as "flimsy contraption" and "cottage industry" in the couple of years that I had it.

@dmaziuk: it was low hanging fruit; please take it as an attempt at humor.

I believe it has little to do with how hard or easy the actual doing is, though, it's more like genetics. Some Moties are born Engineers and some: Mediators.

Daughter took class in a shop supplied jacket, and asked why it wasn't a BP/W like I dove? When it came to equip her, she got a BP/W (she also couldn't understand why shop did "golden triangle regulator configuration", and went "recreational long hose/bungied octo/naked SPG with her gear)....

Wife has been more of a slow progression, but she dives so little, it is hard to get it set (she hates tweaks or changes). She likely would be in her old jacket if it still fit her..... she does seem to like the "openness" of the BP/W, and I know she likes the reduced weighting it affords.... though she will still not say she likes it (because it means I was right).

Last edited:
I am a mostly travel diver and highly recommend the Scubapro Go, their travel BC. Advantages: Lightweight, integrated weights, very comfortable, Scubapro quality, plenty of lift, folds up into a small pouch, zero buoyancy. Disadvantages: Not a lot of pocket room with the weights-a tradeoff in a Travel BC. Was in Belize and one of the Divemasters, who dives every day, also had one. Check out the other reviews at Leisure Pro.

I wanted to thank everyone for their input, and also apologize for participating in hijacking the OP's thread.

I also appreciate understanding that it is the crotch strap that makes a flotation device a BPW.

Kinda like this one, I guess:

999999-889834112215.jpg

No D rings though, and I am pretty sure it doesn't use a hard plate.

PS: This is intended to be humorous, by the way, lest anyone get their crotch strap in a wad.

I wanted to thank everyone for their input, and also apologize for participating in hijacking the OP's thread.

I also appreciate understanding that it is the crotch strap that makes a flotation device a BPW.

View attachment 435138

PS: This is intended to be humorous, by the way, lest anyone get their crotch strap in a wad.

:rofl3:

View attachment 435138

That looks like a perfectly good start to a nice sidemount rig to me. :-O

Back
Top Bottom