Aeris 300G vs. Suunto Vyper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

otter-cat

Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on which of these computers to get. I've narrowed it down to the Aeris 300G and the Suunto Vyper. I am planning on getting a wrist mount. They cost roughly the same for me, and both do nitrox, both have altitude adjustment. This will be my first dive computer. I mostly dive in cold water.

I've seen a lot of comments on the Vyper, not much on the Aeris 300G. Thoughts on either are desired, comparisons of the pros & cons of the two from those who know about both would really be great, too!

Thanks!

otter-cat:)

I have an Aeris 300G and really like it. It is not wrist mountable, but I clip in the middle of the BC so I can just look down and see all the info.

I really like the Analog SPG since I don't trust digitals when it comes to air remaining (although they are probably just as good) and the SPG "shares" some its functions with the computer. For example, if you hit 500 psi, a warning tone sounds. Also the backlight for the computer works for the SPG.

The Aeris 300G came recommended by my dive instructor (he uses one) and it is my first computer. The layout it great and it' s easy to read. One issue I have with using it is the beeps that go off when my ascent rate is too high. I can't tell if it's me who's beeping or my dive buddy (also using a 300G) and I don't know if it's beeping because my rate is too high or something else since other warnings sound the same. This gripe will probably be eliminated with more use by me.

The other issue I have with the 300G is that it is not water activated. You have to manually turn it on and start a dive within 2 hours of when you “activate” it. Once you start a dive, you can't activate it, since it takes the altitude reading pressure once it is activated. You may be at 50ft but the computer will say 0 or error or something like that. So far, I have always remembered to turn it on before the dive (knock on wood), but I would prefer water activation.

The instruction manual is pretty easy to read as well and it comes with a quick reference card.

Overall, I give the 300G a thumbs up. I wish it was water activated though. I know one day I will forget to turn it on and then won't be able to use it.

Take a look at their website www.diveaeris.com

Hope this helped.

- JG

I also have an Aeris 300G and I like it very much. Most of my friends use Suunto's and they like them just as well. One thing I would like to warn you about with the Aeris computers is that they are very liberal and yu certainly would not want to push them to the edge, however, the Suunto's on the other hand are very conservative.

I would go with the real winner hear the Suunto's
I give you something to think about first aeris software don't support windows xp as most know this is the current version of windows out there , to me a company who refuses to upgrade there software to stay current needs to be black balled and put in there place , I dive with the cobra and absolutely love it !!!
and to be honest wouldn't you rather be conservative and be safe I sure would !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom