Aeris ION regulator issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lemon

Reaction score
I recently purchased an Aeris ION regulator. I like it a lot except for one issue. The first stage often makes an irritating noise during exhalation which sounds like a high pitched "groaning" sound, it's almost like you're hitting a harmonic, as with a wind musical instrument. kinda annoying. any ideas?

also, does anyone know which position for the pre-dive switch is the "pre-dive" position? I assume it is up, but the documentation is unclear?

thanks for any feedback or input.

Hello,

I have the Ion and I have not had this problem at all. I have not heard any weird noise on either inhale nor exhale. hmmm. Maybe someone else has had this problem or maybe a dive shop person has serviced one with this problem. Would be interested to know though.

I love mine, breaths great. However, I get an occasional chatter on my second when shallow, I did have to have my first re-adjusted once as pressure to the second was "creeping" up. Take it to the lds and have them look it over.

I have not heard any noises like you are describing with my ION. I would take it to the dealer and have it checked out, could be a simple adjustment issue. As for the directions not being clear, I thought the manual was easy to read and understand. The answer to your question though is pre-dive is towards your face and dive is away from your face. If you find out what is/was making the odd noise please post it. Dive safe!

You did not say whether this was during a dive or just breathing from it while out of the water. Many regulator make a weazing or whining sounds from the exhalation valve until you get it in the water. This is considered normal.

If it is making this noise in the water then I too would say to get it checked at your LDS.

It probably has to do with the DVT, my Delta 4 does the same thing.

Well, I take that back. I was diving recently with my Ion and I did notice a noise upon exhaling. I have no clue what it is. Sorry I'm no help as far as the answer, but yes, mine does make that noise. Doesn't affect the performance though.

I just checked out my new Ion/AT400 in the pool this weekend. I get a light ping at the end of each inhale (on the finish of the breath) - I get it on my 2ndary too, so it's in the AT400, not the Ion. It's like riding in a sub - ping.......ping.......ping......ping.......

It could be the safety valve on the AT400 reseating/closing between the breaths.

I'm really liking my regulator setup, but would like to know if others hear this too, or if it's an issue or a setup item or something else.

this was just the pool checkout, and it only happened in the last 1000 psi of the tank, not at first.

and I think the pre-dive set is up, and the dive is too the face - like any other valve (the line of the handle inticates the same as a baffle in the flowstream. Parallel is easy, up is blocking/hindering

this checks out because if it freeflows, you flip it up and the flow stops (of course, so does blocking the mouthpiece...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom