Aeris Jetpack dream vs reality.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stampsalot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So seriously I'm kinda sold on the whole concept. I've kinda bought into the dream of having a pack that fits my stuff sitting in the corner of my room ready for me to just buy a plane ticket and be outta there. I also figure if (when) the zombie apocalypse happens I'll be able to get on a plane to Palau and live under the sea with a minimum of fuss.

But, well, has anyone actually used it? How does it perform as a BCD? Will it fit a 5'6" guy? Will I really have no problems with airlines? (I'm in Australia if that helps). I need some real life actual opinions.

I plan to pair it with my suunto D6i (& transmiter) and get the accel fins to go with it. and a regular regulator and octo (well lightish ones).

Does anyone own one? Used one? Serviced one? Played with one? I mean it sounds good but a lot of things sound good in theory. I've kinda spent to much time daydreaming to be objective anymore so I need you guys.

The only problem with any packpack and flying, is that all of the loose bits get caught up in the baggage-handling equipment. If a backpack gets trashed that's one thing, but now you're talking about having your BC hanging out and exposed. Most airlines stick packs in tubs but something to be aware of anyway...

Cool concept, but I'd be afraid if what might happen to it in transit...

I suppose the other consideration is that you're "limiting" yourself to a smallish bag. Airlines generally allow bags to be 50 pounds, so why take one that holds only 30? With a 50# bag, I can get my gear and my clothes in one bag. You would need another small bag I suspect...

The Jetpack is designed to be a carry on. Not checked. You wear it on the plane. It's a neat concept. But I've never had any issues with my BPW in an oceanic roller backpack they used to sell but no longer do.

Seems like this is a solution in search of a problem. I've never understood why people look to scuba manufacturers for luggage needs. Nothing screams "steal me" like a bag with a scuba manufacturer's logo emblazoned all over it. I carry all my gear using bags made by Eagle Creek. They're sturdy, light, guaranteed for life, and don't give away what's inside. Travel BCDs or BP/W will fit in many 22" rollaboards or backpack/rollaboard hybrids, along with shorter fins, reg, mask and still have room for a week's worth of t-shirts and swimsuits. As long as you don't need to haul a 5mm full suit, you should be able to pack for tropical scuba getaways in a well designed cabin bag.

It's not a bag. It is a BC. It folds up and doubles as a backpack.

Sorry, I did actually realize that but just noticed I didn't really address it directly in my previous remarks. I'm always a bit wary of dual-use anything. More often than not, it fails to do either well. That said, I still think that many rollaboards or backpack/rollaboard combos can still easily accommodate all your gear for a tropical getaway just as easily, and not have to worry about converting from one form to another.

But then again, I could be wrong ;-) Wouldn't be the first time. :)

I do not know about this particular piece but it is a good thing that the industry is developing new approaches and new products that reduce travel weight. Most travel divers are going to warm eater vacations, not the north pole, they need light weight equipment that packs into a minimum space and can possibly be carried on. Just because the airlines supposedly allow 50 pounds if the same thing can be accomplished at less weight, why not? Easier to carry, easier to pack.

My last trip, my blue dive bag, well, apparently some lady has one just like it. She took mine, packed with a prototype Argonaut Kraken regulator. I was not pleased. Fortunately I was able to recover the bag and pointed out to the lady, with the help of TSA and AA that her bag had her name on it and mine had my name clearly on it and that she might want to check that next time she just grabs a similar bag and runs off. Imagine if it were possible to carry on a complete dive rig. On a side note, the airline and the TSA were actually nice. Wow.

The lighter the gear for travel, the better, even if some function is compromised. But those compromises must be carefully made and the industry has been slow to respond until lately.

N

I don't know. I really don't know. I'm really like the idea. I really wonder what it's like to actually use. And what the quality is like. Is it a decent BCD? My local diving is cold. Would it be less than ideal in this situation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom