affordable NEX 5 and 5n Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The UW fiber optic kits, comes with the probes if you buy them new, has the male & female velcros and fiber optics.
The fiber optic cable is all black, except for the exposed ends about 1/8 of an inch.

You sandwich one end over the sensor - the velcro sticking to the strobe has a hole in the middle, that you align that piece of velcro over the sensor.
The other end goes where the flash lights up in front of the cam, on the housing.

The velcro is totally clear, not black or white, so it helps conduct the light.

Some fancier setups detect the flash intensity and strobe accordingly - haven't seen that yet.

I think that if you splurge 2k$ on an Aquatica aluminum housing, and get the appropriate adapters, you can go fully wired with high-end strobes.
I'm not sure, because the nex5 & nex5n have a weird Sony hotshoe for the flash.

Where the nex5n shines is it's HD video @ 60 frames per second. I would use it with appropriate LED flashlights - like three of them - of depth video.
Also since the sensor is so damn sensitive & great (very little moire at high ISO) I would not use strobes - just flashlights.

It's annoying have to wait for the strobes to charge up between shots, and if you want to shoot video at 80-100 feet the strobes are useless. Unless you get high end strobes that have an LED flashlight built-in.

Nope - the "cheap" yet "excellent" solution - sub-100$ flashlights, three or four of them. I would totally DIY hotglue to the housing the 4 flashlights, the surround the whole thing with a couple of extra-large tie-wraps, and applying more hotglue between the tie-wraps and the flashlights.

Even with shipping 215$ is cheap in comparison to what's out there currently. Even if rated for 40M I wouldn't take it below 25M.

Last - don't underestimate the high iso. Shooting with the lowest is always the best pic quality - but the nex5n has impressive results at ISO 6400. Almost as nice as my Olympus SP350 @ ISO 200, because of the 14MP over the SP350's 8MP.

IOW, good enough, and plenty sensitive to forego strobes. Look at the GoPro HD that gets nice video - yet I consider it crap in comparison the the Nex5n.
(better optics, better iso, better sensor)

Great find!! Please let us know when you get it.

if it works for you then I'll get one too!

MARK!! HOLD OFF ON ORDERING!!! LOL

OK...i just found something which is the same UW Housing BUT its made for the 5n!! I just placed the order a few minutes ago and its coming from Taiwan and cost $185 instead of the $85 for the other one. I would like to get this first and and make sure that it is specifically made for the 5n with the playback and record button working. I ordered the housing for the zoom. I hope I made the right choice :/
View attachment 119874View attachment 119875View attachment 119876
Sony

About the "slave" strobes...is that suppose to be connected to the cam itself via fiber optic wire?

I will. My order is shipping out this Monday but I don't know how long that will take coming from Taiwan :/

Danny,

I saw your posts on another forum with pix from your trip to Cozumel with the 5n and this housing. Like you, I'm planning on getting both cases. I'm new to underwater photog (photography in general), actually my first actual UW photog was last week at Grand Cayman and Cozumel but using a friend's Canon G9 with the canon poly UW housing. Since I'm new to this I saw this 40m underwater housing for the 5n and what I found were good reviews by you but I haven't seen any updates since 2 weeks ago.

I am asking these questions to you directly because from what I have seen so far, you have been one of the ppl that has real good experience with this housing. I'm not much into deep diving, just to where all the colorful stuff are at and I saw that you took pix with the 5n standard flash. Will that flash suffice for that depth? I'm looking into strobes/trays..can the housing accommodate a "universal tray". Was looking into the SeaLife SL961 or the Fantasea Nano Double Ray set. Again, I'm just doing this to learn with so I'm trying to limit my budget. Can it be modified somehow to use a strobe?

Thank you in advance!
-Ed

Sorry I have been away for a while.

For those pics I used the on-board flash and the 24mm Zies or 30mm Macro lens with a Nauticam tray. (The tray is awesome btw and highly recommended). I only got to get in 3 dives with the housing with 2 being shallow ~40ft and 1 being deep ~ 100. I shot only in RAW with aperture priority or manual at a pretty low F number and ISO 100. The photos I posted were simple auto correction & crops in Adobe Lightroom.

Mode Dial
The mode dial was the most difficult to use item. Its functional but for me i had to be patient and working with it. As an FYI the dial will work better at depth than on the surface because of the pressure on the housing.

Flash
The issue with the on-board flash is it will shadow the bottom of your shots because it cant get light around the lens tube. I suspect that the short housing version with the WA lens minimize this problem but the trade off is having to use the sub par (IMO) WA lens... Have i said how awesome the 24mm is :) The way you get around the shadow problem is to aim low and crop or just crop the shadow out.

From a strobe perspective you can buy a slick fiber optic attachment from reef photo that will stick to the front of the poly housings and lets you put the FO plugs in very easily. I think its $25.. I'm buying the new Sea and Sea strobe and those parts for my next trip.

TIP
Be sure and follow the instructions about using the lube. Use it early and often (at least once a day)

New Housing
I would suggest buying 2 of the NEX-5 housings in place of the 5N housing. I posted pics and detailed instruction on DP review about how to do the 5 minute mod that will get the 2 buttons to work. (I would bet anything that the new housings are EXACTLY the same other than the 2 arms so the fitment issues will remain. Why buy 2 housings?? Long housing = macro, 24mm IE normal UW stuff... Then having the Short housing for special occasion WA work (can you say whale sharks June and Cancun without smiling :)

Video
Shooting video on these guys is out of this world. If i had know how awesome the video was I would have been shooting it more than i did.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Here is the part i was talking about. Very slick - Fiber Optic Cable Adapter Set for Compact Digicams [rpv.foa] - $24.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

It took me 3 weeks to get the housing from Linkdelight. Not sure if you are ordering from them or someone else.

Gunrock, this is good info. When you do receive this housing, could you also let us know if it has a 67mm thread on the lens port?
Thanks

Gunrock, this is good info. When you do receive this housing, could you also let us know if it has a 67mm thread on the lens port?
Thanks

What are your ideas about using the 67mm thread?
From the pics attached it shows not to have any. I

think i can help you guys out a bit as i did tons of research and testing about all of this. I posted the info on DP Review. it starts getting good around the bottom of page 5.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&thread=39998765&page=5

danny.hightower

I do macro shots and at the moment I use a Canon S95 with a +6 diopter on the Ikelite housing. Just wanted to know if this Taiwan made housing could fulfill this function. So, my idea is to stack my 67mm diopter onto the lens port if it has the 67mm thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom