After 20 years, need one last dive (Lake Travis)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeck I thought he might be checking on the body maing sure it was not disturbed.... of course he would have to eliminate the "guide" :)

- in memory of Micheal Critchon who passed at age 66 of cancer today.

There is no active geocache at Clear Springs Scuba Park. (There is one nearby, but it is not a scubacache, nor is it in the park.)

Oh I should have mentioned that itr is not a "scubacache", hell I didn't even know they had a word for that kind of cache. Troy and I got into Geocache'ing briefly a while back. I remember running across a cache site that mentioned CSSP but it said it was not underwater. Seems like a great hobby, we just can not fit more hobbies into our lives. Between scuba, the boat, animals, motorcycles, life is full!

I might disagree with that statement.
I would have to ask a reviewer to find out whether there is an archived former cache at CSSP (since normal users cannot see archived caches), but there are no caches on the map at CSSP. (Geocachers tend to have at least rudimentary map-reading abilities, or so we assume. May be hubris, of course. :biggrin:)

Standard responsible practice is to remove the container when your cache is archived, as leaving it out there is generally considered littering. I know nothing of the circumstances of any archived former caches that may have been in CSSP at one time or another, so perhaps one is still there, even though it is no longer listed (likely due to being archived). As any formerly-listed cache at CSSP must have been archived, it would no longer be considered an active geocache (going by standard geocaching definitions of the terms).

(Any new cache at CSSP would require prior arrangements and special dispensation to be listed, as it would almost certainly be disqualified as commercial otherwise.)

Anyway, none of that really matters, but it seemed I needed to be more precise in my prior statement. (I should have said, "I have just logged in and searched, and Geocaching.com has no user-visible (active, non-archived) listings for any geocaches at CSSP." That would have been almost appallingly verbose, but it wouldn't have been misunderstood. :D)

And at this point all the real geocachers are squirming in their seats and wondering if I considered the potential that the last waypoint of a distant multicache may be at CSSP. Yeah, I thought of that, but I didn't see any 5-star terrain caches nearby, so I would be surprised. Plus, if you hide a scubacache, you usually *want* people to know it's out there, eh? (And I didn't want to confuse the muggles...)

My apologies. I didn't realize there was so much tort law involving geocaching. :shakehead:

My apologies. I didn't realize there was so much tort law involving geocaching. :shakehead:
Hehe, you should see the forums over there. They scare me. :biggrin:

For anyone interested in finding this using a GPS, Giant Stride is equipped with a GPS/Sonar. You could be put directly on the coordinates to begin your dive.

Robert
Lake Travis Scuba

For a small fee of coarse :eyebrow::eyebrow:

I quit for almost 20 years and then started again. I think, with a little time shallow first, I could have done this one-time dive.

For those of you doom-sayers, have any of you taken a long (10+ years) break and then started diving again? Or are you just guessing for someone else?

I started diving in 1976 kept with it until 1981,started all over again in 2008 how many years is that? too many for me to count (not enough fingers and toes):D

I quit for almost 20 years and then started again. I think, with a little time shallow first, I could have done this one-time dive.

For those of you doom-sayers, have any of you taken a long (10+ years) break and then started diving again? Or are you just guessing for someone else?

I took a 15yr break. While I could still do the basic functions, I certainly didn't recall hardly any of the emergency procedures. Yes; I could have done an 80ft dive. However; had anything gone wrong, I would not have been adequately prepared to handle it.
Just about anyone can dive when everything goes great, it's when there are problems that people's training and experience are tested.

A perfect example that I see all the time. When people go to depth (say 80ft), they have to add air to their BC to compensate for the pressure. When they ascend, they forget to release the excess air and shoot to the top. This is a simple thing to forget and happens quite frequently. So now we are talking about someone that has been at 80ft for several min, then made a semi/uncontrolled ascent. Thats how people get bent.
Sure it sounds like doom and gloom, but that Really does happen. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility.

There are a lot of small, little minor things that can happen at 80 ft. that become really BIG problems at 40 ft. if they are not handled at 80 ft.

A great dive at 40 minutes (dive time) is entirely contingent upon a great dive at 20 minutes which is entirely dependent upon a great dive at 2 minutes. By the way, great dive is not simply defined as dive time. It's defined along a skill line that looks like control/marginal control/problem/big problem/emergency/out of control. The diver would always like to be in control. The other items are either problems or problems in the making.

Just my 02 cents.

Finding a cache on land based on GPS coordinates can be a bit challenging. UW may well be more than a 1-tank quicky. A known depth adjusted for lake levelmay be more important that the GPS coordinate once you get in the ballpark. Good luck

BTW, the idea of one "LAST" dive had my caution light blinking.
By "last" dive, I only meant, that with my busy life, the expense of getting back into the sport and lack of quality water nearby, I don't believe I'll be making any more dives. Of course, I might just get bit by the bug during this dive. I always keep an open mind...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom