After 20 years, need one last dive (Lake Travis)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was good meeting both of you!

Congrats on a successfully day of diving and......geocaching, and diving.

Well, is there any place in Austin that's even close to the quality and visibility of ocean diving?

Nope, not at all, unless you count Aquarena which is very clear and 72 degrees year 'round. That's why I asked if you do mostly ocean diving.

I don't geocache but following this thread, I got caught up in your enthusiasm. Hope you had a good adventure in Lake Travis and hope to hear a trip report :)

The reports of my iminent demise can now be dispensed with... :no:

What a great day! It was a blast diving again although the viz and "deadness" of the bottom was kind of depressing. I guess learning to dive in the ocean around Okinawa got me pretty spoiled. But we (K-Valve, CLayJar and I) did a test dive for me first - went on down to 80 feet (I believe). Had a little upper sinus squeeze, but valsavas cleared that up. After we surfaced, it was decided to swim over to the area ClayJar and I had marked and head down from there since we still had enough air. We got down fairly quick and found the geocache after about 5 to 10 minutes. It was only about 10 - 15 feet away! I found it first and signaled for K-Valve to come over. He saw it and went to get ClayJar. We signed the log and headed back to the shore.

After saying good bye (and a big thank you) to K-Valve, ClayJar and I discussed driving to the other side of the lake because there is "one more" over there between a sunken "sailboat and an airplane". We agreed and drove to the other side. We headed out to the large orange bouy and headed down. The buoy is tied off to the sailboat. We found a stump and thought it was the one we were supposed to look below, but after a search decided it must not be the right stump. We headed in the direction of the dam following a rope. We found another stump with several ropes tied to it and headed down from there and found the tool box (I think it was a fishing tackle box) fairly quickly. Headed back up and continued along the rope to the plane. That was cool... You could still read the planes registration number on one side of the fuselage. We went back past the sailboat and visited several other boats before heading back up. All in all, a very good day - 3 good dives (including the test dive) and 2 SCUBACaches found.... :D

Barry (aka Doc Geo)

Nope, not at all, unless you count Aquarena which is very clear and 72 degrees year 'round. That's why I asked if you do mostly ocean diving.

I don't geocache but following this thread, I got caught up in your enthusiasm. Hope you had a good adventure in Lake Travis and hope to hear a trip report :)

Well, I can't say I only do ocean diving now.... :wink: It's just that I learned and did a few years of dives in the ocean so that's all I "knew"... I've heard about Aquarena Springs. That sounds nice, but I've also read about them tearing down the buildings there. Not sure what that means for the spring....

Last edited:
Congrats Doc Geo & welcome to the Swamp!

Nice job K-Valve & ClayJar :crafty:

I feel like I missed an event now.

Congrats on your adventure!!! Sounds like you had a killer time out there.

That's great! Thanks for the update on the dive and report. As soon as I read the trip report I recounted the saying from the Frankenstein movie of 1931....

"It's Alive!"

The reports of my iminent demise can now be dispensed with... :no:

What a great day! It was a blast diving again although the viz and "deadness" of the bottom was kind of depressing. I guess learning to dive in the ocean around Okinawa got me pretty spoiled. But we (K-Valve, CLayJar and I) did a test dive for me first - went on down to 80 feet (I believe). Had a little upper sinus squeeze, but valsavas cleared that up. After we surfaced, it was decided to swim over to the area ClayJar and I had marked and head down from there since we still had enough air. We got down fairly quick and found the geocache after about 5 to 10 minutes. It was only about 10 - 15 feet away! I found it first and signaled for K-Valve to come over. He saw it and went to get ClayJar. We signed the log and headed back to the shore.

After saying good bye (and a big thank you) to K-Valve, ClayJar and I discussed driving to the other side of the lake because there is "one more" over there between a sunken "sailboat and an airplane". We agreed and drove to the other side. We headed out to the large orange bouy and headed down. The buoy is tied off to the sailboat. We found a stump and thought it was the one we were supposed to look below, but after a search decided it must not be the right stump. We headed in the direction of the dam following a rope. We found another stump with several ropes tied to it and headed down from there and found the tool box (I think it was a fishing tackle box) fairly quickly. Headed back up and continued along the rope to the plane. That was cool... You could still read the planes registration number on one side of the fuselage. We went back past the sailboat and visited several other boats before heading back up. All in all, a very good day - 3 good dives (including the test dive) and 2 SCUBACaches found.... :D

Barry (aka Doc Geo)

Barry,

I hope you discovered scuba diving again and all it has to offer, beyond the geo cache thing. You are a swamper now and will have to live up to the TSD's. That means more diving in Texas.

Shawn O'Shea

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom