Aftermarket Drysuit pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I finally did it; Ordered my drysuit today! :bounce:

Now the first question.... Pockets. I know some people recommend the fifthd bellows pocket. Others recommend the Northern Diver pocket [but I can't seem to find it on their site].

ericfine50 recommended a pocket but I havn't checked with him to get the reminder of what that one was.

Any other recommendations?

what suit did u end up getting ?

Cant you have them install you some bellows pockets if its an option. I am very happy with how DUI did mine, first rate work. it may be worth looking into reguardless of the brand. Its not that much more $.

Andy

trymixdiver once bubbled...
what suit did u end up getting ?

BARE ATX HD. I considered getting their pockets, but I didn't much like what they had to offer. Their zip pockets are... well... zip pockets. The default pocket changed to velcro, but it really doesn't have much bellow in it and can't serve much purpose other than tables/wetnotes/slate.

My LDS is looking into seeing if he can order it without the standard pocket; but if not has some ideas for removing it and gluing an aftermarket pocket over it.

But yea... to answer the question; I did look into what BARE offered in the way of pockets.

Spectre once bubbled...

BARE ATX HD. I considered getting their pockets, but I didn't much like what they had to offer. Their zip pockets are... well... zip pockets. The default pocket changed to velcro, but it really doesn't have much bellow in it and can't serve much purpose other than tables/wetnotes/slate.

My LDS is looking into seeing if he can order it without the standard pocket; but if not has some ideas for removing it and gluing an aftermarket pocket over it.

But yea... to answer the question; I did look into what BARE offered in the way of pockets.

I dive the same suit.I removed the factory default pocket and installed two fifthd bellow pockets with E-6000 glue recommended by them.My pockets have about 20 dives on them and are holding up great.

lal7176 once bubbled...
I removed the factory default pocket

I'm still waiting to hear if they will be able to get me one without the pocket attached. Did you end up with the suit with the zippered pocket, or the newer velcro pocket. How'd you go about removing it? Just cut as close to the stitching as possible and glue the new pocket over the remaining?

Spectre once bubbled...

I'm still waiting to hear if they will be able to get me one without the pocket attached. Did you end up with the suit with the zippered pocket, or the newer velcro pocket. How'd you go about removing it? Just cut as close to the stitching as possible and glue the new pocket over the remaining?

Mine came with the velcro pocket.It is stitched on and taped on the inside of the leg to keep water from leaking through the threads.I used my wifes little hook looking thread cutting thing to remove it.A lot of the thread just pulled out after removing the pocket.The rest i just trimmed it real close to the trilam.I glued my fifthd pocket on which covered the exposed threads.The old threads are taped sealed from the inside so it wont leak regardless.

The one thing that i didnt care for about the factory pocket besides being to small was that it had no backing.So what ever is stored in your pocket is directly against your drysuit material.The fifthd pockets come with a nice backing which is used to glue it to the drysuit.I do realize that is no big deal but i would rather replace a pocket than repair a hole in my drysuit leg if it ever came down to that.

If you want some pictures of my pockets let me know.I have a digital camera and can send you some later on today or tonight after i get back from the gun show.

lal7176 once bubbled...
It is stitched on and taped on the inside of the leg to keep water from leaking through the threads.I used my wifes little hook looking thread cutting thing to remove it.

A seam ripper. [Had to point that out to show that I actually know stuff, since I didn't recognise a temperature on the kelvin scale :wink:]

That's cool to know. I was a little concerned about pulling the stiches due to the assumption that they might be sewn all the way through [athough now that I think about it; that wouldn't make much sense either! :)

Don't worry about pics. Thanks for the offer though, and I might take you up on it when it comes install time. However I'm still trying to decide on the pockets.

I hear the fifthd pockets are just bellowing pockets, and don't have any ring inside to clip off to or tie a loop around to clip to. I know the Dive Rite pockets I have currently have the ring [albeit plastic] and there are two compartments. The smaller back compartment is nice 'cause I don't have to be rummaging around for my wetnotes...

Ahh..decisions decisions.

Spectre once bubbled...

A seam ripper. [Had to point that out to show that I actually know stuff, since I didn't recognise a temperature on the kelvin scale :wink:]

I hear the fifthd pockets are just bellowing pockets, and don't have any ring inside to clip off to or tie a loop around to clip to. I know the Dive Rite pockets I have currently have the ring [albeit plastic] and there are two compartments. The smaller back compartment is nice 'cause I don't have to be rummaging around for my wetnotes...

Ahh..decisions decisions.

Yep it was a thread ripper thingy that i used :D
The fifthd bellow pockets have three metal drain grommets at the bottom of the pocket and one metal grommet on each side of the pocket at the top for your bungee loops to clip your goodies off to.

I am also about to order a ATR HD trilam, and will be going with a custom fit.
There is mention in the custom drysuit menu of a "tech pocket" as well as a "standard pocket."

I have yet to contact Bare to ask for details about this "tech pocket" ( size and whether or not it is a bellows-type.)

It may be worth your while to investigate this option......

best regards; jbm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom