Aga Divator II FFm with Posedion Odin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jawbone

Reaction score
I've recently purchased a Aga mask with com. I would like to know what primary reg would be best suited for the 2nd stage reg on the aga. Trying to get best performance out of 2nd stage reg. I was looking at a Posedion Odin but heard mixed comments on this. Any help would be appreciated. Any one out there using Posedion Odin with aga? How does it perform? Thanks in advance Jason.

I have used an AGA for about 8 years with various types of first stages. The only requirement for the first stage to handle the AGA is a high constant flow at any depth. So a balanced reg is the way to go. Any quality balanced piston or diaphragm first stage that has the IP properly adjusted to the required AGA psi will do the job. I would tend to stay away from poseidon regs if you just want a first stage for your AGA. They are very expensive to service and can be a pain in the a$$ to get the IP set correctly. Poseidon regs tend to require a tech with alot of experience working on them, to really get them to perform their best. Unless you already have one, stick with a more common first stage like a scubapro piston or an oceanic diaphragm. Either one of these are very easy to adjust, will hold their adjustment, and just about any shop should have a tech that can work on them. Oceanic parts are fairly cheap and easy to come by also. I do not know about scubapro parts, though I have heard it can be a nightmare to get parts if you are a DIY kind of guy.

Jawbone:
I've recently purchased a Aga mask with com. I would like to know what primary reg would be best suited for the 2nd stage reg on the aga. Trying to get best performance out of 2nd stage reg. I was looking at a Posedion Odin but heard mixed comments on this. Any help would be appreciated. Any one out there using Posedion Odin with aga? How does it perform? Thanks in advance Jason.
The Conshelf is a good 1st stage to mate up with the AGA, it's the most common 1st stage used on commercial divers' bailout bottles.
They're probably going to be almost half the cost of a Poseidon 1st stage.

Man I havent used mine in years but when I did I used a Poseidon. But that was when every Tech diver and their mother used them too- I would think that the IP on the Conshelf would be too low for the AGA mask to breath right- I think that the Conshelf only runs at 130- The Poseidon runs at 160-180 (which is not hard to set by the way, all you need is an IP gauge and an Allen wrench- just like most regs)

Could be wrong about the US D's IP pressure- You might want to see what the New Poseidon's are running at.

Actally I dont see why any 1st stage wouldnt work as long as the IP was Set Right... It all depends on how deep you want to use it to and with what mix (es) of gas.

getting the poseidons IP set isn't hard, yes, you just crank down the set screw... however, poseidons are known for having problems holding a steady IP setting.
Any first stage will work as long as you can get the IP high enough without seat problems (the AGAs reccomended IP is somewhere aound 160psi), and you stay shallow.
The problems come when you go deep, some regs can't flow enough volume at the higher IP when deep.
If you are not using an octopus on the same first stage as the AGA, you can crank the IP up with no problems (aside from any problems with the HP seat wearing). If you are, then it needs to be De-tuned to the proper IP setting. You may find some problems with some second stages trying to function at the higher IP without freeflowing.
If you are using a non-positive pressure demand type AGA you should try to keep the IP as close to the reccomended psi as possible. If you are using the posi-pressure AGA then you can cheat and set it 10-15 psi lower. The only thing you will see is, it will clear slower when pressing the purge, but you will still get enough flow even deep.

Jawbone:

As recommended in other postings, any high-flow first stage will work. Get the tools from Peterbuilt and the book from Airspeed Press and you can adjust, set, and monitor your own IP as desired.

BJD

You can use any high performance first stage. The Divator can use an IP from 90 to 170 psi. I'd recommend an IP of 130 to 145 from an environmentally sealed balanced first stage. I used Poseidon in the past, but currently use either Apeks or Zeagle first stages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom