Age & Rank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CONGRATS,,,it is WONDERFUL!!!! Happy bubbling guys.

texdiveguy:
Just sitting and thinking,,,,,,looked at the PADI stats page and found that of all the PADI cert. divers in the US in my age group of 50-54,,,that we made up only approx. 4%--gee!

Also I am just curious as to the break down of certf. levels in terms of %...... does anyone have an idea (OW,,AOW,,RESC......)??

:)
Just certified at 51 ! Finally got it off my life to do list!!
Now off to Cozumel the first week of August and Kona the last week of August!

aviddiver(him):
4%er Club

I'm aged 50 almost one...ish. 300+ dives/over last 6 years. Been diving off and on since I was a kid.

Any of you other 4 % ers notice than MOST of the live-aboards' majority passenger manifests are populated with mostly 4%Clubers'?

Ever notice that? I suspect, when you're young, you mostly exist in the red, if you know what I mean. 5 cert dives; spent the allowance; then nada mas.

The 4 % er Club rules! Kings of the hill STILL.

Any of you young'ins wish to square off?

Hit me with you best flame :) :) - right here in the 'ole imoticon.

Any suggestions on your favorite live a boards? Now that I'm just certified at 51, I think I can scrounge the $ to go first,
(From this site I got the idea to go to Cozumel in August and stay at the Presidente and use there on site dive ops)

44 years old, certified at 19, DM at 32, Instructor at 36.

Man, still actively diving in your 70's & 80's is great. If i thought that was possible 20 years ago i would have taken better care of myself. :wink:

PADI? Who the heck are they? Don't remember seeing them when I started diving in 1961. Are they the new kids on the block?

Dr. Bill

Al chortled through his second-stage:
Age 58.. AOWI I want discounts too :)
Al, my friend, I already discount most of what you say.:)

But I couldn't resist chiming in as another who was OWC at 51. Don't care about the stats, but it's sure nice to have the perspective to just sit back and let it happen when the friskier divers are hogging the
  • swim platform
  • ladder
  • hot water hose
  • lunch treats
Although we should definitely demand firsties at the head . . .

-Bryan

i was 24 when i got my OWSI! but i started diving when i was 20

Scuba_freak:
i was 24 when i got my OWSI! but i started diving when i was 20
Two of the three best divers I've had the honor to meet and then buddy with (on boats) have been my age or so (more than twice yours) and they began thier diving in their teens. I would envy you, as I waited until I was fifty-plus to start diving--but I'm having too much fun to entertain regrets . . .

-Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom