Aggressive shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to shark forum.

There have been many cases of sharks acting very inquisitive when in the presence of the electronics that are associated with camera gear. There have been suggestions that something in those mechanisms arouses their senses.

Were you using a video or focus light? I was on a shark dive in Fiji and was not allowed to use a continuous light source for the same reasons suggested by Boulder John. On this same trip a small dive group doing a shore dive returned with a strange story about a white tip reef shark that started circling the group, making ever smaller circles and coming uncomfortably close. The four divers did not make any physical contact with the shark but were unsettled enough to rapidly abort the dive and return to shore. This was in an area where no shark feeding occurred.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Good to know about the equipment, I did flash the strobe right before he hit me the first time. Thanks.

The shot is not the best, I had my strobe power turned down and my camera on manual setting, so this is all I got.
That would have been a great shot if properly exposed. Have you tried tweaking it in Photoshop (or similar) yet? Underexposed is better than overexposed. I'm sure you can get it at least a half-stop brighter.

You are right, I went back into Aperture and did some more adjusting here is the result. The reason it was under exposed in the first place is that I was shooting in manual at a subject on white sand and had my strobe power turned down, then this guy comes along.

ObyanWhitetip (1).jpg

I like it. It's not easy to get that perspective, looking up at the shark, and the exposure is okay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom