Aggressor Okeanos II experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twistypencil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A few friends and I wanted to go on a LOB for the first time. We are all advanced, nitrox certified, hovering around 100 dives. We didn't know where to go, so someone threw out Cocos, and we searched for something that would work for our schedules and found space on the Okeanos II in August.

I started researching here on Scubaboard about LOBs in general to get an idea of what I need to do to prepare. I started to find people saying stay away from Aggressor in Cocos, some boats are not as connected and are run poorly, bad experiences, fear mongering and 'search for threads' comments. I went on a deep dive trying to find any current information about the Okeanos II, but I couldn't find any trip reports about that ship, only the Okeanos I, and nothing current.

Since we've already either payed in full, or mostly paid our deposits, there isn't much we can do at this point, but I'm starting to wonder if we made a poor decision for the trip of a lifetime (also a trip that will cost me dearly!)

Rather than ignore the complaints, I want to fully embrace what people have to say so I can better understand and prepare for what may come. I'm ready to hear your experience, especially anyone who has been on the Okeanos II!

I’ve been on 5 trips with them and will go back as soon as I can. I’ve had some issues with other boats in the fleet, but never them. Feel free to message me with more specific questions.

I’ve been on 5 trips with them and will go back as soon as I can. I’ve had some issues with other boats in the fleet, but never them. Feel free to message me with more specific questions.

With Aggressor Adventures, but have you been on the Okeanos II? I've heard that the boats can be very different in quality, crew, and even owned/operated by different groups of people (like maybe Aggressor just sub-contracts them out, or something)

Hi @twistypencil

I was on the Okeanos II in 2017, a very good trip. I don't see a more recent review on SB

I have no reason to think that you will not have a great trip.

Reactions: Dan
4 trips on the Okeanos II, a 5th on the new Cocos Aggressor. The only significant differences I noted was that the new boat has somewhat larger cabins, with twin beds instead of bunks, but the coffee machine is slower. I knew several of the crew from previous trips on the Okeanos II and I've known Carlos, the current captain of the Okeanos II, since he was a DM. I don’t know what exactly you heard in the stories you're alluding to but I've seen no indication that you have cause for concern.

Is the Park Fee included in what you pay to Aggressor? Somehow, I am unable to figure out if this is something I need to pay extra, having cash on site. What about tips?

Finally, temperature, should I bring a dry suit or do I need to narrow down what temperature its going to be and panic buy a 5mm suit before leaving because I only have a 3 and a 7?

You pay the park fee when you board, it isn't included in the trip cost. Tips too, and Nitrox. Cash or credit works for either but I think they will charge a couple of percent extra for paying the park fee with plastic. As I mentioned before, I'd give it a few months before deciding on exposure protection to see if the water temps are reverting to normal. Buy a 5mm in July if you decide you need one. https://www.aggressor.com/kbyg_document/Cocos covers all this information and more and you should read it carefully.

You pay the park fee when you board, it isn't included in the trip cost. Tips too. Cash or credit works for either but I think they will charge a couple of percent extra for paying the park fee with plastic. As I mentioned before, I'd give it a few months before deciding on exposure protection to see if the water temps are reverting to normal. Buying a 5mm in July if you decide you need one is hardly a "panic buy".

Thanks - I thought the park fee was included in the price, good to know.

I'm only hesitant to buy another wet suit because I'm starting to switch to dry suit, and I'd prefer to just either dive dry, or use the 7mm rather than get something else that I wont use after this trip.

I can relate to that but I don't know that I've ever seen a dry suit on one of these trips. SInce some of the sites will have you kneeling in the rocks waiting for the hammerheads to show up at their cleaning stations, the possibility of damaging a dry suit does exist. There are lots of sea urchins around to poke holes in it and you too and the currents can make it easy for you to touch them without realizing it.

Reactions: Dan
I have been to Cocos 3 times. Twice in September on Argo and once in December on Okeanos Aggressor I, Trip Report - Diving in Cocos Dec. 2020 Trip Report

Water temperature wise they are pretty consistent around 69-79F (21-26C) as you see in Table 1 of my trip report, above. I wore 5mm full wetsuit & more importantly a hood.

As first time liveaboard it’ll be quite an extreme experience for you as the boat is old and I’m not sure if it has stabilizer to reduce rolling side-to-side from Pacific Ocean swells during 35-hour crossing. If you have a weak stomach, make sure you take Dramamine or ear patch. @scubadada gave me those patches during our crossing to Malpelo on Ferox boat. The patch helped me tremendously.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom