Aggressor or Peter Hughes for Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a ten-day on the PH Galapagos boat in '06 and had a great time. There are plenty of reviews around (Undercurrent, for one) that rate the boat and the trip.

While I did not dive with it, last year I had the opportunity to do a reasonably thorough inspection of the Tahiti Aggressor while it was docked in Bora Bora. Looked like a fine boat, and though I was not a customer I was treated like one.

Both companies have been around for a long time. In my experience, as long as the boat is well-maintained, the success of a liveaboard trip boils down to the crew and how you are treated, both in and out of the water. To me, it doesn't look like you're getting much help here making the choice you want to make. I'd query both operations and, among other things, see what kind of land excursions are offered, etc. And read some reviews.

Diveborg....STOP IT ALREADY!!! Are you not aware that the mistake was one captain's decision, not all the captains of PH boats?? Stop tar a feathering all of the other captains for that tradgedy. I am really tired of hearing all of this time and time again. If that captain ever gets to the helm of another boat, have at it. I know some of the other captains and they are top notch.

Well, I don't think anyone can be certain. I do know that PH handled the aftermath of the tragedy badly, and that is the main reason I have a negative opinion of them. I would like to think that Aggressor would have done a better job, but that is just a guess.

UHHH, do you know....or have you heard....

Allison Finch:
Diveborg....STOP IT ALREADY!!! Are you not aware that the mistake was one captain's decision, not all the captains of PH boats?? Stop tar a feathering all of the other captains for that tradgedy. I am really tired of hearing all of this time and time again. If that captain ever gets to the helm of another boat, have at it. I know some of the other captains and they are top notch.
If you're so tired of hearing this again and again, why are you responding to a post that's over a month old?

Because it remains in the forum as a highlighted topic. It means it is still being rehashed. It just seems that people are grinding an axe that was never sharpened. Everyone keeps saying "I heard" or "I read"......After having spent much time on many liveaboards (including PH boats), credit should be given to the good boats (many of whom are under the PH flag) and raspberries to the deserving bad boats WHOMEVER they are.
Many boats who have the bad luck to have a poor captain, will probably get a better one quickly. People should be open to changes made. As was said, both PH and Aggressor were at the same dock with people aboard. There but for the grace of God....

BTW, as to the late post, I just got back from a month in Indonesia on yet another liveaboard.

Allison Finch:
BTW, as to the late post, I just got back from a month in Indonesia on yet another liveaboard.
Komodo Dancer?

In Indonesia, you're far more likely to die in a plane crash or ferry sinking or nightclub bombing. Liveaboards can't touch the endemic dangers.

Allison Finch:
Allison, it is not the captain's decision, however bad it was, that I have the issue with. It was the the poor behavior of PH after the accident that I have the problem with. If you have a problem with my expressing my personal opinion when ask, too bad.

Allison Finch:
Mossman, I was on the Odyssea 1 in Raja Ampat. It is a new boat that was designed to really handle photographers well. It was a lovely boat.
Ah. We did the Kararu Voyager in July, Bali-Komodo, and I was awfully impressed with their photo facilities as well. Instead of the typical camera table, they had an entire large camera "hangar" on the dive deck with a massive charging station, with individual camera table and cabinet storage adjacent to each diver's individual gear station.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom