Ahoy from Washington DC Metro Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrthing2000

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the Washington DC metro area and looking for some interesting dive sites in the region. I hope to get out to VA Beach and Ocean City in the next few months. Seems like local diving is pretty limited.

I did quite a bit of diving in warm areas but also upped to AOW in the cold lakes of East Tennessee. I've yet to find a local dive club here but I am sure they exist.

I rent my equipment except for the mask/fins/snorkel. I'd like to venture into double tank diving and get Nitrox and other certs as the wifey will allow :wink:

Spendy hobby at times, but I love it. Wish I could do it for a career. Maybe someday--in Belize!

Greg (mrthing2000)

Hi Greg, I live in the DC area and I am getting back into diving. I know the diving isn't the best on the shore. I am currently looking for a dive club and have heard of some in Annapolis. I am actually going tomorrow and if you like I can send you some info.

Renee

Thanks Renee. Sorry I didn't get the notification of the post until just now--4 days later :/

Where do you go diving? I am hoping to get over to Ocean City and do the headboats in the next 2 months.

I saw something about poeple diving for oysters in the Cheasapeake near Annapolis. If the weather clears up that would be fun. I think it probably doesn't get very deep out in those parts. I am more used to 40-70' lake dives or around 100' ocean ones in the Carribean. I hear 20' in the Cheasapeake is more normal.

Greg

Any particular place in southern NJ? I am looking at heading up to Cape May sometime this summer, and maybe stay in Atlantic City. Never been in southern Jersey but I hear its a gem.

Greg

Any info really helps. There is a local dive shop just down the street. I'm going to drop by sometime this week and check out the rental gear.

Thanks Renee. Sorry I didn't get the notification of the post until just now--4 days later :/

Where do you go diving? I am hoping to get over to Ocean City and do the headboats in the next 2 months.

I saw something about poeple diving for oysters in the Cheasapeake near Annapolis. If the weather clears up that would be fun. I think it probably doesn't get very deep out in those parts. I am more used to 40-70' lake dives or around 100' ocean ones in the Carribean. I hear 20' in the Cheasapeake is more normal.

Greg

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the Washington DC metro area and looking for some interesting dive sites in the region. I hope to get out to VA Beach and Ocean City in the next few months. Seems like local diving is pretty limited.

I did quite a bit of diving in warm areas but also upped to AOW in the cold lakes of East Tennessee. I've yet to find a local dive club here but I am sure they exist.

I rent my equipment except for the mask/fins/snorkel. I'd like to venture into double tank diving and get Nitrox and other certs as the wifey will allow :wink:

Spendy hobby at times, but I love it. Wish I could do it for a career. Maybe someday--in Belize!

Greg (mrthing2000)
Hey Greg,

I live in baltimore, and I am always looking for someone interested in going diving. If you ever need a buddy to go with you to south jersey, OC, Va Beach etc, send me a PM.

Welcome to SB mrthing2000 :) Enjoy your stay here.
:coffee:

Greg, I haven't done any diving in MD. I am now just getting back into diving and would like to start going more. I did go to the dive shop in Annapolis and they said there are some quarries in VA about 2 hours away that they recommend. They were very helpful there, I bought a computer watch and got the rest of my gear serviced.

I haven't heard how the diving in OC is, but if you need a buddy I would be very interested in going. I am kinda high maintence diver, I like it warm. I have been to Honduras and in 3 weeks will be going out there for a week of diving. So when I get back I will be itching to start diving. Especially, now I have spent money on getting my gear.

I would be interested in going to NJ also, you are the second person that I hear NJ is a good dive spot, kinda hard to believe. I would like to start getting to know the local divers around this area. Let me know, when you are planning a trip.

Renee

Back
Top Bottom