Aiieee!!! ScubaDiving mag discovers women!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemistress

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
And it's not pretty!

AND FOR THE LADIES
As you may have noticed, women differ from most men both in size and shape. That creates two fit problems. One source for a smaller size is gear made for children. Masks, gloves, booties, exposure suits and even BCs are made for children today with adult quality.
A woman's shape often dictates a different design to get a good fit, and breasts are only part of it. Women typically have shorter torsos, wider hips and longer legs in proportion to their height than men do. As a result, many companies now market wetsuits, BCs and other gear specifically for women's shapes. The women's model doesn't fit all women better than a comparably sized unisex model, but it's worth trying both.

AS YOU MAY HAVE NOTICED??? What The .....???

We women sound so odd. Even odder, the realization that we are different is made to sound so fresh: Someone JUST realized our hips are wider? And what a scholarly presentation! I feel like a rare Amazonian spider unveiled to the world for the first time in National Geographic.

This gem follows three-plus page article (August, p. 83) aiming to teach readers how to fit their gear properly, specifically their wetsuits, drysuits, BCs and fins. The advice seems decent enough -- at least through one breezy airplane reading. There are plenty of little tips, most seemingly gender-neutral.

So why the irritating (IMO) and stupid (IMO) little treatise at the end? Dunno. Unless it's to court all those companies with money to spend advertising their female lines. :wink:

I use a Scubapro Glide Plus BC It fits just right. It's the right size for my torso and yes, there is plenty of room for my ample top. My husband uses an Extra Large Scubapro Classic BC. I don't think it ever fit him right. He says it rides up when he's on the surface. But it works well under the water. Guess I need to read the article (We have it) and see. But I can't shake the feeling that he's been misled with the fit of his BC.

divemistress:
We women sound so odd. Even odder, the realization that we are different is made to sound so fresh: Someone JUST realized our hips are wider? And what a scholarly presentation! I feel like a rare Amazonian spider unveiled to the world for the first time in National Geographic.

Just make it small and pink and we will all like it and dive and look so pretty.

I met my husband on a dive trip--I'm prety sure he noticed but I may have to double check...

Robin

but this kind of drivel combined with the scantily clad women in the advertisements with their blow-dried hair and full make up would be a joke if they were amusing.

so true. who wears makeup diving anyway?!! excuse me while i go and air brush my butt before i put on my bikini and go for a dive in 12 degree water. Good times!!

Divemistress wrote:

"Someone JUST realized our hips are wider? And what a scholarly presentation! I feel like a rare Amazonian spider unveiled to the world for the first time in National Geographic."

TOOOOOOOOOOOO FUNNY ! ! ! ! !

And all the women in the world are a perfect size 6!!! And get their nails done once a week, and have no stretch marks, and stand with one hip cocked sideways???????

mermaid_oz:
excuse me while i go and air brush my butt before i put on my bikini and go for a dive in 12 degree water.

THAT's the secret...I knew there was something I needed to do before diving to make myself look like the mags. I bought all the gear and just didn't get the look! (yeah, right)

And, honestly, I prefer bright red to pink but it does fade faster so I do like pink. Just not head to toe!

Robin

mermaid_oz:
excuse me while i go and air brush my butt before i put on my bikini and go for a dive in 12 degree water. Good times!!

Too bad I can't air brush myself into a too small wet suit.

All,

I really think that you are reading too much into the article.

It is a biological fact that women are a different shape, and what they are saying IMHO is that perhaps it is time that gear be sized accordingly. I cannot see how it matters for stuff like fins and snorkels. For gear like BC's and exposure protection, I would think that it be common sense that you get the gear that works for you. Not what some company says will work.

Just my two cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom