Air and NITROX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre once bubbled...

Yea, when my buddy and I go out drinking, I make sure to match him drink for drink so I can judge if he's ok to drive.

:wink:

Yeah, the only problem I run into sometimes is that the buddy doesn't drink fast enough...so I order him a few shots to "catch-up"

MonkSeal once bubbled...

Let's assume that buddy is less experienced (he's not Nitrox certified). If we dive different mixes I won't feel same simptoms as he wiil do. Maybe he'll be narced and he's not able to recognize that.

If you go by what is taught in many EAN classes today, using EANx will not lessen your nitrogen narcosis. Whether you choose to believe this or not is your choice. I know this is the way it is taught in SSI, IANTD, and IANTD Advanced Nitrox.

The theory behind this is, nitrogen is still a narcotic and your body is absorbing more than it is designed to have.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Yeah, the only problem I run into sometimes is that the buddy doesn't drink fast enough...so I order him a few shots to "catch-up"

The problem I run into is that my buddy is 6' 2" and 200 lbs, compared to my 5' 8" 160.

He tends to drive a lot more than I think he should :)

Lead_carrier once bubbled...
The theory behind this is, nitrogen is still a narcotic and your body is absorbing more than it is designed to have.

This isn't exactly correct. The nitrogen narcosis will be adjusted to a shallower point, since it's partial pressures we're talking about. e.g. 100 w/ 32% is the same partial pressure of nitrogen as air at 81 feet.

The catch is that it is believed O2 is narcotic as well, so you're replacing a narcotic gas with a narcotic gas.

Spectre once bubbled...
The catch is that it is believed O2 is narcotic as well, so you're replacing a narcotic gas with a narcotic gas.

You are dead on Spectre. In fact, some people believe that O2 is MORE narcotic than N2. The added complication is that we metabolize O2, so the narcotic effect may be lessened.

One thing is for sure, if O2 is narcotic, and I'm not sure how narcotic it is, it has the added effect of making you feel like you are not impaired. This may well be even more dangerous.

The TDI advanced nitrox book says that this is an advantage, but you'd have to be and idiot to believe that. If you're impaired, you might as well be aware of it!

The only safe and sure way to make your mix less narcotic is to add Helium to it. The other problem with trying to use O2 to make a mix less narcotic is that you need this advantage when going deep, and that's exactly where you don't want a lot of O2 due to the dangers of O2 toxicity.

I think if two people dive together they simply need to take into account the limitations of the mixes they dive. For more serious dives, it makes sense to all have the same mix. But for a 40 ft reef dive it hardly matters what's in your tank.

Well, ok, maybe Argox would not be good ;-)

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
Well, ok, maybe Argox would not be good ;-)

Well, that depends on why you dive. If you dive for the intoxication, then Argox might be the way to go!

Spectre once bubbled...

Well, that depends on why you dive. If you dive for the intoxication, then Argox might be the way to go!

Why boher, just dive Nitrous Oxide Ox. Or whatever you'd call it ;-)

You don't even need to dive. Put the tank in your living room...

;-)

You'll always be fine in the case of getting an EAN mix on an OOA situation.
[1] You will go for surface, and even with a saftey stop of 3 min (assumes you are not deco), you'll be on top in no more than 4 mins.
[2] You main concern is the OOA - not the "extra" O2 your getting - or how that will impact you SIT requirement (easy - don't dive after any OOA!)
[3] PPO will not be an issue on asscent - again, you are OOA and need to get outta there!

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

:D :D :D I'm on the other side of Atlantic and unfortunately I was sleeping during this discussion.

Back
Top Bottom