Air and NITROX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre once bubbled...
Why? As long as you're not exceeding PpO2 limits with the dive, you can dive nitrox with air limits..

Yes, as long as I'm not exceeding ppO2 limits and as long as I'm in NDL for air. But I believe that same configuration for both divers improves safety.

Also, if you consider O2 less narcotic then N2 then breathing same mix will bring you and your buddy to similar level of narcosis.

MonkSeal once bubbled...
But I believe that same configuration for both divers improves safety.

I'm not sure I completely agree. By having more time, and a higher O2 gradient in your tank, you're better served to help out your buddy in an emergency or blown plan.

But that's my opinion.

Spectre, I added this after your reply: "Also, if you consider O2 less narcotic then N2 then breathing same mix will bring you and your buddy to similar level of narcosis."

MonkSeal

MonkSeal once bubbled...
Spectre, I added this after your reply: "Also, if you consider O2 less narcotic then N2 then breathing same mix will bring you and your buddy to similar level of narcosis."

I'm not sure if O2 is less or more narcotic than N2, but assuming O2 is less narcotic; why would you want to impair yourself more, just because your buddy would be. Once again, you would be serving your buddy better if you were able to be less impaired.

I have to agree with Spec....there is no harm in diving EANx if your buddy is diving air.

In most cases I'll try to match gas with my buddy, but if I have a tank of EANx, and someone wants to do a dive with me that doesn't have the same gas, we'll talk about the dive, but I'm still going to dive my tank.

Spectre once bubbled...
I'm not sure if O2 is less or more narcotic than N2, but assuming O2 is less narcotic; why would you want to impair yourself more, just because your buddy would be. Once again, you would be serving your buddy better if you were able to be less impaired.

Let's assume that buddy is less experienced (he's not Nitrox certified). If we dive different mixes I won't feel same simptoms as he wiil do. Maybe he'll be narced and he's not able to recognize that.

MonkSeal once bubbled...

Let's assume that buddy is less experienced (he's not Nitrox certified). If we dive different mixes I won't feel same simptoms as he wiil do. Maybe he'll be narced and he's not able to recognize that.

Yes, and if you are diving EANx...you are likely to recognize he is narced and suggest taking him up a few feet to relieve that sensation.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Yes, and if you are diving EANx...you are likely to recognize he is narced and suggest taking him up a few feet to relieve that sensation.

I think you and Spectre convinced me. I checked my log book and find remarks that I dove different EAN than my buddy and that we made a plan according less O2 mix. So, my comment that I always dive the same mix as my buddy wasn't 100% true :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom