Air Fills from a Volunteer Firehouse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nudgeroni

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have the bug, and want to dive as much as possible. One way to make it a LOT easier, and cheaper, is to get air from the firehouse down the street. I am not a volunteer firefighter, I don't know any of the local firefighters, and I don't want to be rude. Then again, it might not be a big deal to just ask if they could provide a fill. It might even be a good way to get to know the folks there.

How best do I as for fills-- or should I not ask? Maybe I should FIRST volunteer to help with a fundraiser or something. Opinions?

Thanks!

Here is your answer:
Then again, it might not be a big deal to just ask if they could provide a fill. It might even be a good way to get to know the folks there.

Most volunteer fire departments work on donations..... so I'd expect that if you offer to donate, they will help you with a fill.

Note that they use a SCBA fitting, and you'll need a DIN or Yoke fitting depending on your tank. They may or may not have that fitting.

Not that it's a big deal nudgeroni, but the tanks we used (i was a vol firefighter) had the DIN fitting....you can get a converter though.

Your local firehouse MAY help you out with air fills, but keep in mind they bear some liability if there's some air-related accident. That may be a liability they're not willing to take.

they won't do them for non-firefighters in most cases. Liabilities the municipality does not want. Now, with that said, get to know some of them pretty well and they may sneak some in for you. Be careful not to abuse this favor if someone is found to help you out (being careful not to get them in trouble). The maintenance on their air system is more strenuous than at your LDS, and the upkeep schedule is much more regulated. Number of fills, run time on the compressor, all of it is logged(or should be) and they get questioned on discretionary numbers. Yokes are different, but there are adaptersfor that.

I would suggest investing in another tank to make less trips to the LDS.

Getting t know them is a good thing either way. Alot of them are divers and are great guys.

I would make sure they make scuba quality air if you try. Firefighter air is generally grade D, which doesn't meet the standard for scuba which is grade E, or modified grade E, or OCA if you are using nitrox. The fireman may not be familiar with the grades, and may tell you it is fine. I would want to see their last air inspection log.

Brent

Thanks for your comments, folks; you calmed my anxiety a bit. I guess I'll just head over there and politely ask if they're willing (and not what fitting they use).

Hunter- thanks for your tip, too.

As a volunteer FF myself, I think I'd be hesitant to provide a fill for a guy who just came in off the street. The liability issue has already been mentioned, but at least where I live, there would be the issue of a government entity (my local FD is a combination career/volunteer department of the city) "competing" with local business. If word got out we were providing air fills for one person, then suddenly we might have all sorts of people showing up.
That said, it doesn't hurt to ask, and get to know your local firefighters!

Our compressor provides very clean air... last air test results I saw showed the air to be O2 safe as far as I could tell.

You could just apply to be a volunteer at the department, then getting air fills probably wouldn't be an issue at all!

hunter991:
I would make sure they make scuba quality air if you try. Firefighter air is generally grade D, which doesn't meet the standard for scuba which is grade E, or modified grade E, or OCA if you are using nitrox. The fireman may not be familiar with the grades, and may tell you it is fine. I would want to see their last air inspection log.

Brent

This is true, but if you have a department with a scuba response team, they "should" know. And I also agree to see the inspection log. That will be ready for use very easily.

BDSHORT:
You could just apply to be a volunteer at the department, then getting air fills probably wouldn't be an issue at all!

another GREAT point. They need help all the time and the amount of time needed is minimal. .

Nudgeroni:

I too am a Firefighter, and fill my tanks at the fire hall. We have a new compressor and it is a great sorce for air fills. However, I don't fill tanks for anyone out side the Dept. The reson is liability, if some one should have a problem while diving, don't want them comming back at the Dept. I wish could fill everyones tanks and would be happy to do so, but we don't live in a perfict world. "Dam shame too"
I would just go ask, and a few dollers in there pockets would make a win-win. Oh, and you can get a SCBA to yoke on the internet for under $80.00

Regards, George

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom