Air Hog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Ok I'm back from a lovely two week vacation down south. Had a great time, did a fair bit of diving (of course) and enjoyed the sun.

Here's my dilema -- on almost every dive I was an air hog! Sure I expected the first dive, the first day I would be, but after that no.

Any ideas to better conserve my air? Don't get me wrong, I had lovely long dives (30-45 min) but it seemed that I was the one always signaling that I had reached the "warning" level of 1500 psi, then the 750 psi. Perhaps I was the only one willing to admit the levels (back on the boat on a couple of occassions I discovered I had more air than a some of my fellow divers), but I don't think this was true in all cases.

Any ideas on how to improve my air use?

DG,

First some questions,
How long have you been diving?
Is this your 1st ocean experience?
A little bio would help also, so as better to answer your questions.

ID

Originally posted by Iguana Don
DG,

First some questions,
How long have you been diving?
Is this your 1st ocean experience?
A little bio would help also, so as better to answer your questions.

ID
Thanks ID - in response to you:
- about a year
- not first ocean, but first for Barbados

bio? what do you need to know

Hi divegal,
Realistically the term "to conserve air"needs to be removed from the divers vocbulary and inserted into that big porcelain flushing filing device as it is a piece of pseudo babble and has no place in reality.There is only one way to make your air last and that is to breathe normally and get into a rythym.There are just too many variables to the breathing equation including some we are not aware of.
All our bodies have rythyms and cycles where what we can do easily one time is hard the next because our body is pulling energy to those functions that it decides needs the most.You could be fighting a cold,you may be menstrating,you could be having mentally draining stuff going on in your life.It's often the things that we don't realise that are affecting us and as they are not directly involved in the dive thought process.
The key is to be well rested,as fit as possible,have a relaxed state of mind and not a whole lot of mental baggage and don't think you need to live up to other divers expectations.Experienced divers should allow for the less experienced divers to find their own rythym.It's a joy to pass this lifestyle onto others and even a dive with a new diver is BETTER than a day at the office.Don't forget the excitement factor and fatigue caused by jetlag.If your holiday which is meant to be for relaxing and recovering gets used more physically than normal time then we shouldn't be surprised if our bodies let us know somehow.You may have done so but get some R & R in your holiday before you dive your pants off.The more experienced you are at diving and relaxed underwater the longer your air will last.Just don't 'skip breathe' or you'll get a headache.If anyone tells you otherwise than find some new friends.See ya later from the gasman.

DivingGal-

Go to search and look up air hog. I asked the same question a few weeks ago and go a lot of good responces.

Greg,

That was great advice and very well put, you are hereby commended for your response.

Keep up the good work.

ID

Thanks man,
Without trying to set up a mutual admiration society here,may I add that I have read some coscient words that you have written.I love this forum.It gives divers at all levels the opportunities to ask questions that experienced divers can help them out with without the politics of different organisations and without foolish boasting.If we can help each other and build up one another then that's AOk by my book.Catch you on the webwaves.Gasman

Hey Kyle, thanks. I guess it just goes to show I'm not alone in the "problem".

Hi D.G.:

First off...don't sweat it! Air is good! Good, regular air exchange is best. Now...

SWEAT IT! My best advice to you is to try & improve your cardiovascular fitness...your "aerobic capacity". Swim , run, stair climb, walk etc. etc. You'll feel better, look better & perform better in any athletic endeavour you choose.

Forgive me if this is already part of your life! If it is, I return to my original advice & just enjoy your air.

Regards,
D.S.D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom