Question Air Hog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the less experienced buddy who is above you leads the dive?

This isn't some military op. We're not on a mission and have to swim "continuously and effectively." We're just doing some recreational diving! I'd rather go at a relaxed pace and not put stress on an inexperienced buddy about having to keep up with me. And I'd rather have him/her in my field of view so I can keep an eye for signs of stress. Reality is that they're already task loading enough without having to put some absurd expectation on them to be checking on me every 20 seconds--I mean, you dive that way? It sounds completely insane to me.

This isn't some military op. We're not on a mission and have to swim "continuously and effectively." We're just doing some recreational diving! I'd rather go at a relaxed pace and not put stress on an inexperienced buddy about having to keep up with me. And I'd rather have him/her in my field of view so I can keep an eye for signs of stress. Reality is that they're already task loading enough without having to put some absurd expectation on them to be checking on me every 20 seconds--I mean, you dive that way? It sounds completely insane to me.
If I am diving with a buddy, yes I am checking on them frequently. On the order of every 20-30 seconds probably. It would consist primarily of an instantaneous glance, confirmation that their position is where I expect and that they look OK. I normally dive solo, but if I have a buddy, we are together.

I often dive with a same ocean buddy and we both are self sufficient with redundant air and we will stay together until or if we get separated. Often we might get a few hundred feet ahead or behind and we may or may not hook up again- especially if we are on scooters. So on those dives, buddy diving is very casual. That is not what I an talking about.

When I am diving with a buddy I generally want them to be within 10 or 20 feet of me (even in good visibility), I want them next to me, I want them on one shoulder and I do not want them to switch shoulders, change direction, change depth or do anything different, unless they signal, often it might just be a yelp and a point, but I expect communication and coordination.

If I have a real buddy, then I take it seriously and I do not want to loose them. I drift dive often and I definitely do not want them behind me because it might literally be impossible for me to crawl or swim back into the current even 20 feet. If they are behind me, and the bottom is sand, it might be impossible to provide ANY assistance if they get stuck on some rope or line or entanglement. I want the buddy WITH me, not lagging nor wandering. Yes I really dive like that.

So the less experienced buddy who is above you leads the dive?

Any buddy can lead a dive. Their experience level is no important. First rule in the BSAC club I dived that one dive was appointed the dive leader for a dive. All the other divers regardless of certification level or experience followed the dive plan of the lesser experienced diver. How else are they going to get experience if someone always say hey you, you don't look right, get to the back and follow orders.

- you’re on your own.

We are always on our own even with a dive buddy. In fast changing current diving it is often not possible you will stay side by side especially in low visibility.

I'm the wife of a serious Air Hog. He used to take my air the first 15 years of diving, and I did not like it very much, you can't move free with someone hanging on your octopus, and watching the own air go down super fast is no fun. Of course he took 15l tanks if available (still not enough on deep dives) - I had to take 15l tanks myself to provide more air for both of us.

Since 10 years he uses two tanks - like 12l and 7 l. or two 11 l. He uses a normal BCD and attaches the second tank on the front side. He has a second regulator with it. In the first tank, he leaves the air for emergency, safety stop etc. Works out well.
I always make clear, if its OK for the dive shop. If not, we don't dive there.

This sounds complicated, but is actually much more relaxed than the "air sharing, end the dive early without the group, stay above erybody etc. thing".

Of courseiIt might not at all be necessairy for the OP, since he did not yet try a 15 l.

I'm the wife of a serious Air Hog. He used to take my air the first 15 years of diving, and I did not like it very much, you can't move free with someone hanging on your octopus, and watching the own air go down super fast is no fun. Of course he took 15l tanks if available (still not enough on deep dives) - I had to take 15l tanks myself to provide more air for both of us.

Since 10 years he uses two tanks - like 12l and 7 l. or two 11 l. He uses a normal BCD and attaches the second tank on the front side. He has a second regulator with it. In the first tank, he leaves the air for emergency, safety stop etc. Works out well.
I always make clear, if its OK for the dive shop. If not, we don't dive there.

This sounds complicated, but is actually much more relaxed than the "air sharing, end the dive early without the group, stay above erybody etc. thing".

Of course It might not at all be necessary for the OP, since he did not yet try a 15 l.

ERNESTO AND SPARE.JPG

What do you do when your dive buddy is an air hog? Do you share air to extend the dive?
Maybe.

Do gas planning for the dive. make sure that you both maintain the minimum gas for both of you to safely ascend and do your stops on one persons minimum gas.

For the rest of the gas, it doesn't really matter who carries the gas or who breaths the gas while accomplishing the goals of the dive.

If the goal is a longer joint dive, then share before the minimum is reached, otherwise don't.

If you are diving different tank(s) from your buddy make sure you have different minimums (gas for 2 to the surface will be different pressures in different tanks).

Increased experience can have some pretty dramatic improvements to air consumption but the lung volume difference will still be there. Taking a sidemount course might be a big benefit that you both really enjoy. Even an extreme difference in air consumption could be easily offset with one vs two aluminum 80s (or preferably tanks sizes and types being relatively proportional to body sizes and desired buoyancy characteristics). Notable side benefits being a good sidemount instructor will help you both have a setup that is more comfortable and streamlined, refine your weighting, small tips on reducing air consumption based upon observing your actual diving, etc, etc..

Back
Top Bottom