Air Integrated Dive Computers and SPG's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,
I was (and still am) using a Suunto D9. I was the only one on the boat using a wireless transmitter. The strange thing was that on one of the dives where it failed pre-dive it all of a sudden started working once I started my safety stop. From my perspective the technology is not there yet, and will keep on diving with both SPG and transmitter as I said before.

Hope this helps....

Best,
Gil

I've been diving a D9 without a backup for years with no problem until last trip (last summer), right after battery replacement & software update. I'm suspect of the software update--heard stories on the boat about others with similar problems after the update. I've been guilted into getting a backup pressure gauge just so I don't have to listen to the divemasters tell me "no professional dives a D9 without a backup."

This question is getting repetitive. AI has a number of advantages but getting rid of a hose is not one of them. You still should have a backup analog SPG.

I've never understood the logic of buying a piece of scuba equipment with the idea that it needs the back up just in case. We don't carry spare fins or spare BC. The octo is there not to back up our primary but in case our buddy is OOA and needs to share air.

An AI computer with wireless transmitter helps put information in the same place where I look for depth and time as well as nitrogen loading. Personally it simplifies my gear and integrates multiple data streams. But, is it any different from a non-AI computer failure? If a non-AI computer fails underwater then you need to end the dive at that point anyways, even if your SPG is still working. If you AI computer fails it's not like your tank will empty to zero during the ascent.

By the book recommendations if your computer fails and you are in the middle of a dive vacation having done multiple dives you are out of the water for 24 hours anyways, even if it's non-AI and your SPG works just fine.

Agree with Hatul, this has been discussed numereous times

freewillie, you are wrong. I dive an AI Oceanic VT3 primary and an Oceanic Geo2/SPG as backup. If one fails, I always have a backup to continue a single dive or a series of dives. Thus far, I've not needed backup, but could. I'm selfish, do not want to lose a single dive let alone a series on vacation. You can sit out, not me

Agree with Hatul, this has been discussed numereous times

freewillie, you are wrong. I dive an AI Oceanic VT3 primary and an Oceanic Geo2/SPG as backup. If one fails, I always have a backup to continue a single dive or a series of dives. Thus far, I've not needed backup, but could. I'm selfish, do not want to lose a single dive let alone a series on vacation. You can sit out, not me
Not "wrong" just different perspective. Again, still don't understand why you spend nearly $1000 on a computer then find the need to spend minimum $250 or more for a back up to the computer you just bought and then another $125 or so for the SPG. If you don't trust the AI wireless in the first place why not just stick to standard console computer.

Then again, I do live 20 min from the beach so I can always come back the next week. On vacations I can't dive everyday either and need to space the dives in between family time. I would agree with using the back up computer with SPG only when doing a live aboard and no port for days.

Not "wrong" just different perspective. Again, still don't understand why you spend nearly $1000 on a computer then find the need to spend minimum $250 or more for a back up to the computer you just bought and then another $125 or so for the SPG. If you don't trust the AI wireless in the first place why not just stick to standard console computer.

Then again, I do live 20 min from the beach so I can always come back the next week. On vacations I can't dive everyday either and need to space the dives in between family time. I would agree with using the back up computer with SPG only when doing a live aboard and no port for days.

Hi freewillie,

Sorry, I agree with you, you're not wrong, you just have an entirely different perspective and have a very different dive pattern.

I trust my AI very much. Since July 2010, I have 360 dives on it without a problem and a single smooth battery change. Nearly all of my diving is multiple dives per day over multiple days, I don't want an interruption. The liklihood a single computer would fail is very small, the chances two would fail independently is vanishingly small. I do use the non-AI computer for some complimentary data to my AI. My AI will show remaining air time as the default limit when it is shorter than the no deco time. Rather than scroll to an alternate screen, I can glance at my non-AI and always see my no deco time. As stated, I've never needed my backup, but am glad it's there, a personal choice that fits my style of diving.

Good diving, Craig

Back
Top Bottom