Air Integration and Back up gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sorry.

how many guys have a back up for their spg? not many i'm sure. if it goes out, you surface. Do you need a backup for an AI computer, of course not... no more than you do with an spg. If it goes out, you surface. Its simple. The chances of this every happening are very slim, so don't worry about it til it happens and when it does, just surface.

crosing once bubbled...
I am contemplating purchasing a Suunto Cobra air integrated computer. I was reading the manual on Suunto's website and they warn that a diver should always have a backup pressure and depth gauge with them when diving the Cobra.

Is this Standard practice? My question is directed to all who use an air-integrated computer. Do you also have a backup console with you on the dive? If so, how do you arrange the extra hose and gauges? This would necessitate a first stage with two high pressure ports.

Thanks for any comments....

No, from what I've seen and hear, having a backup is not standard practice, but that doesn't make it a bad idea. I'm getting a Vytec and SPG for two reasons. Redundancy is good and I've seen too many people, especially new divers, rely too much on their computers and never really learn to monitor their status. Same goes for the idea that if your AI computer goes down all you have to do is remember where you were and end the dive. Yes, you SHOULD know that at all times, but real life isn't always about should.

As for Suunto's website, I'd say that was written by their lawyers (which still doesn't make it a bad idea).

~Paul <//><

Crosing,

As Ziggys_Friend said, keeping an analog SPG is not a bad idea. And as you said, there are plenty of first stages out there without two HP ports so for some its not an option.

When I started looking into buying a computer a lot of people said they preferred wrist mounted computers because they could then put their computer on their right hand so they could still look at it while operating the powerfeed on their BC - e.g. to monitor their ascent rate at the end of a dive. However, I wanted AI and I wasn't going to pay for a wireless model (Vytec).

I've just bought a Cobra and I plan to keep my SPG too. The idea is that I'll leave my analogue gauges on the my left where they've always been and route the Cobra on right right so that I can hold it where I can see it and use my powerfeed at the same time.

Either way, if my computer or SPG failed, its time to get out of the water.

So,
Over my left shoulder: BC powerfeed
Under my left arm: Original analogue gauges
Over my right shoulder: Primary second stage
Under my right arm: Cobra on the end of its hose.

My BC (Seac ProTech - despite its name not really a BC for Tekkies) has a neat storage system for my Octopus that keeps it accessible, visible and out of the way and I don't dive a drysuit so that's one hose I don't have to think about.

This layout works for me but it may not be to everyone's taste.

Philip

When I first bought my setup, I had a Mosquito and had an SPG on my reg. I then bought a Cobra (I wanted the AI), I never bothered to take off my SPG (my compass is on it as well) my 1st stage has two HP ports, so it hasn't been an issue.

Although, I know that the chances of needing this level of redundancy are hovering somewhere between slim none...I like that everything's redundant. Between the two computers (with the same algorithms) and the SPG, I've got double everything.

Peace,
Cathie

SA Boy once bubbled...

So,
Over my left shoulder: BC powerfeed
Under my left arm: Original analogue gauges
Over my right shoulder: Primary second stage
Under my right arm: Cobra on the end of its hose.

My BC (Seac ProTech - despite its name not really a BC for Tekkies) has a neat storage system for my Octopus that keeps it accessible, visible and out of the way and I don't dive a drysuit so that's one hose I don't have to think about.

This layout works for me but it may not be to everyone's taste.

Philip

Sounds like a mess.

Redundant is the question. For the last five years I've been diving AI., and I have been redundant, always having a spare computer in my BC pocket monitoring my dives. I don't often check it, maybe every other dive when diving multiple days multiple dives. My AI., hasn't ever crashed but my redundant did once, I was at 120Ft. on East Chute Cayman Brac., this is when you would be a happy camper if you had a redundant computer source. :)

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Sounds like a mess.

Not really sure how you arrive at the mess Mike. My layout is the same as most sport divers I see with the exception of the Octopus which usually runs under the right arm to a hose clip. As I don't need to do that for my Octopus, seemed a logical place to put the Cobra.

Like I said, may not be to everyone's taste but it works for me. I'm not asking for anyone's approval - Crosing asked about keeping his SPG with a hose AI computer and how people laid out their hoses. I answered his question.

I initially purchased my DataTrans Plus because I didn't want to bother with the extra hose and constantly reaching for a gauge.

I'm now on my fourth DTP and quite thankful for warranties. The problem with my last DTP was related to the way it calculated nitrogen. It kept getting increasingly conservative. The first and second, however, had problems with loss of pressure signal. The computers worked fine, but the transmitter/receiver pair were kaput.

I know, I appear to be slightly off topic here. You asked about AI, not hoseless, and will probably never have this problem with a Cobra. Still, I am getting to a point.

When I went for my cave certification, I decided I had to have a reliable backup. I purchased a DiveRite SPG, which I hook to my belt at my left hip. I haven't been cave diving since the certification (been there, done that, lots of fun, rather dive with sharks and tropicals), but I still have that SPG. It's a kind of unobtrusive little security blanket.

To answer the question I usually get ("Why the hell are you still diving with that thing if you've had so many failures?"): hey, when it works, it's awesome. I love knowing my air remaining based on use, and the readout can't be beat.

Back
Top Bottom