"Air is for tires" :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going back to the cost aspect of diving nitrox. I can do twice the amount of diving for what it costs to fill up with nitrox. I only save nitrox for the "big" dives. Other than that im diving air when diving our regular fresh water dive spots usually less than 60ft.

Yep. The tires on one of my car have nitrogen fills.

I was at the tire shop a few weeks ago and was talking to the owner about nitrogen fill for tires. Think of the TPM system as your scuba tank. No moisture allowed because it can corrode and affect the sensor in the tire. Standard compressed air from a auto shop contains moisture etc.

I think you would be perfectly fine filling your tires off your scuba tank with just plain air since the moisture is filtered out.

I then proceeded to inform the guy the air he was breathing already contained 79 percent nitrogen and 21 percent oxygen.

You've already spent a lot of money you scuba gear dont waste it on needless N2 fills at a tire shop.

And folks who don't want to waste money on nitrox?

WHY NITROX?

Nitrox provides a lower percentage of nitrogen than ordinary air. In this way less nitrogen will enter the body at a given depth and decrease the risk of two nitrogen-related problems: decompression sickness (DCS) and nitrogen narcosis. Both DCS and nitrogen narcosis result from increased nitrogen pressure, the former from bubble formation on ascent and the latter from nerve inhibition at depth.

the decreased nitrogen percentage provides advantages,

1) as a time extender for dives to recreational depths, i.e., ability to dive longer at a given depth than allowed for by standard air tables, without increasing the risk of developing DCS;

2) to lessen the risk of developing DCS for dive profiles that adhere to the standard air tables.

3) can shorten the surface interval between dives

4) Increased safety margins if dived with a computer set to 21%

5) Feel good factor, some people say they dont feel as tired after diving with Nitrox

So how exactly is it a wate of time. Spend a couple of hours in a classroom, sit an exam, & maybe get to do some dives all for a couple of $.
Its not the most exciting course, I agree, but the benefits are worth the boredom.

Have the policies changed?
About using the word stroke? Yes, I don't know anyone who uses that word unless they are talking about a type of cerebral hemorrhage. Do people in Japan still dredge up non-relavent GI3 quotes from 15 years ago, maybe in a retro kind of way? Since we are talking about the whole "air is for tires" thing, you do know the context was about diving deep air, don't you? :rolleyes:

Honestly, if the choice people are making is between diving air and, oh, say, starving their children, then by all means go do your shallow dives on air. Do you think anyone cares, outside maybe your dive buddy?

XXXL:
the decreased nitrogen percentage provides advantages,

Sometimes. It depends on the dive.

XXXL:
1) as a time extender for dives to recreational depths, i.e., ability to dive longer at a given depth than allowed for by standard air tables, without increasing the risk of developing DCS;

Not for shallow dives.

XXXL:
2) to lessen the risk of developing DCS for dive profiles that adhere to the standard air tables.

Not for shallow dives.

XXXL:
3) can shorten the surface interval between dives

Not for shallow dives.

XXXL:
4) Increased safety margins if dived with a computer set to 21%

Not for shallow dives. Even on dives for which this is true, you give up all other benefits of nitrox by doing this.

XXXL:
5) Feel good factor, some people say they dont feel as tired after diving with Nitrox

I get no such benefit and the only double blind study so far indicates it's all in their minds.

I'm missing something here. What does "GUE" stands for?

So ... does anybody know where I can find a nitrox snorkel?

:D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My snorkel is nitrox, but unfortunately it only goes up to 21%. Stupid snorkel! I don't use it anymore :( :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom