Air management for beginner.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
Soggy,

You know the old 100psi for every 10ft rule darn near ought to get it done for single tank diving. Anyone who can't remember something THAT simple, ought not hold a card. If they start to run low, they'll be at 20 or 30ft instead of 80. And that's liveable.

Now you're talking! That is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. A simple rule, simply done that is effective.

KISS

daniel f aleman:
Obviously, millions of safe dives are made, world-wide, by divers who have no clue of gas management.

Explain.

Yup, and millions of people drove, for years, without seat belts and airbags.

*shrug* so does that prove that we don't need seat belts and airbags?

Steve50:
Unless you were his instructor or observed him taking his instruction, why would you assume he was not trained in air sharing . Panic!!

"I got separated from my buddy, saw I was below 500psi and didn't think to go to anyone else".

So, I assumed he was trained in air sharing but not sufficiently trained in what to do when low on gas. As far as he was concerned the rest of us weren't part of his resources at all.

(Offtopic, but... if ScubaBoard added a "Philosophical Deathmatch" forum, do you think they could sell tickets? :D [Can't call it "Fight Club", as I was told not to talk about that.])

Sure, we're paying out time aren't we?

Of course it is -20F outside right now and my plans have been shot for the day.:D

daniel f aleman:
Obviously, millions of safe dives are made, world-wide, by divers who have no clue of gas management.

Explain.

Luck
DMs plan their dives
Some have close calls
Some die

We're not talking about the safe dives. We're talking about the ones where people got hurt. Do you think a little gas management training could help them?

ArcticDiver:
Come on, think outside your box. I've dived with several new divers whose SAC rate was twice or thrice what you mention. I mean use an entire AL80 in 30 minutes. Also, for many they don't have enough knowledge to adjust on the fly for variable dive conditions that are encountered on the dive.

You've met a certified diver that had a 3cfm consumption rate? I call BS.

Soggy:
We're not talking about the safe dives. We're talking about the ones where people got hurt. Do you think a little gas management training could help them?

It seems, really, that gas management wouldn't have helped the last several dozen diving deaths. I keep track. Most deaths due to drownings are as a result of a massive screw-up (look at the five most recent Florida deaths) or health related issuses.

If it were up to me, all training would include some gas management, proportional to each level.

Soggy:
You've met a certified diver that had a 3cfm consumption rate? I call BS.

OK, so I rounded up for clarity and to make a point. It was actually 2.7XXX.

I've seen several divers drain an AL80 to less than 100psi from full in 30 minutes or less. You figure it out.

The point is that if it is to be accepted and used by new, or infrequent divers, the method must be simple and result in realistic dive times. Othewise, the method, no matter how elegant to the rest of us, will not be used.

Back
Top Bottom