Air share skills with female instructor problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doghouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok with a guy, I have not problem just grabbing the BC shoulder strap and passing the reg. With the female assistant instructor, I ended up doing a little bob and weave before grabbing the shoulder of the harness. I know that sounds strange, but I would have been embarrassed as He77 if I had grabbed the wrong section. Yes it may be a puritanical upbringing kicking in, but it through the instructor off when I grabbed her bc @ the shoulder. It took her a couple of seconds before realizing I was holding the octo in front of her face and had a grip on her.

I am interested in the opinions of the female instructors / assistant instructors as to how to address this issue. The person is questions is well figured, which leaves little free strap room. (even that description did not come out as politely as I wanted it to...)

I doubt the instructor was even thinking anything of that sort. Nothing says that you have to do a quick grab, just be diligent, take your time & all wil be fine. You ought to have seen my rescue class during the rescue breathing & unresponsive diver tow. I was the only female in a group of 7 guys:D :blinking: . The guys were falling all over themselves to be my buddy for that part. They hated doing the simulated rescue breathing on another guy. It was actually quite amusing:rofl3: .

I am not an instructor or female but I was buddied with a female in class and have dive with a number of female buddies. The bottom like is that you do what needs to be done. Whether it's a drill in class or helping with gear in or out the water.

Some of it may be the newness of the skills and the environment. Just focus on the task and if you do bump into something "buoyant" it's all for a good cause. This person is already in the water with you either in a swimsuit or skin tight rubber so when it's time for physical interaction (like skills or assistance) some contact is inevitable. Just behave and it will all be good.

Pete

None of my female instructors even notice now!! In fact, they tend to get more concerned with people looking embarrased as it draws attention to the fact that they are trying to be gentlemen!!

As has been said before, if you are out of air, it dosnt matter if you do catch that area accidentaly, they would rather know youve enough air to come back!!

If you have to feel up the women, consider it a bonus? :), i do lifeguard stuff and it's quite funny having to give them clevage on the spinal boards =)

If you are my age your invisible anyway.

dkktsunami:
Modesty and diving absolutely do not mix!
:rofl3:

Yup no way to be on a dive boat as a girl and be modest or freak out about stuff...

We are talking LIFE SUPPORT.

No time to spend your attention on minutiae about political/social correctness!

Imagine you have $10 dollars worth of attention to spend. Do you want to squander $2.00 of that with worrying about touching a female???

If you are out of air, I suggest you spend $10 on solving the problem and achieving an air source.

Back
Top Bottom