Air travel drysuit bp/w fins luggage suggestion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WoodTurner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

Looking for the luggage suggestions where in I can transport trilam dry suit, bp/w, fins, undergarments etc. safely and securely. I was reading through the forum, but most people carry either shorty's or wet suit, couldn't find anything wrt dry suit. My breathing gear, dc etc will go with me in the backpack.

Also, maybe worth second thread, but which insurance will best cover the luggage costs? Here in the Netherlands, I've seen travel insurance covering only 1000 to maybe 2000 euros which is, in my case, very low coverage.

Wrap the plate with your clothes, so it can't impact your drysuit.

Use a hard carryon. I think Gregory has a small, hard case, backpack carry on. A back pack is just going to get crushed.

I take extra effort in smashing other people's bags, when I load my carry on. 3 full swings minimum.

Put an Airtag into the luggage so at least you can see that it's not arrived as they sent it to bongo-bongo land. A pack of 4 is good insurance and they're easily hidden.

Drysuits are very expensive and fragile. I tend to use larger flexible wheely cases. If I've sufficient weight allowance, I'll leave the drysuit in its carrying bag. Fins are good for protecting the sides/bottom.

I've a couple of Northern Diver cases like this which have lasted for years:

I've used a hard case for many years to transport dive gear including drysuits. Of course, this comes with a penalty, weight. Compromises have to be made. Take out the clothes, or at least most of them and toiletries. If you're going on a liveboard, you will need very little of either.

Put an Airtag into the luggage so at least you can see that it's not arrived as they sent it to bongo-bongo land. A pack of 4 is good insurance and they're easily hidden.

Drysuits are very expensive and fragile. I tend to use larger flexible wheely cases. If I've sufficient weight allowance, I'll leave the drysuit in its carrying bag. Fins are good for protecting the sides/bottom.

I've a couple of Northern Diver cases like this which have lasted for years:

Yeah, I'm looking into Airtags too :) Forgot to mention them.
Is the Northern Diver bag lockable? Seems large enough.

I'd just get a PCV duffle bag: they are light and waterproof, so good with wet gear. Get one with shoulder straps that are preferable stored away in a zipped pocket. Its also advisable to not have it marked with diving gear brands for security

Fins, wetsuits, drysuits and undergarments are robust and not that heavy. Someone would have to be sticking a knife through the bags to damage them.

I used to use a wheeled/hard case for dive gear - until I realized 25% of my luggage limit was just the case.

I find having bags that I can sling on a shoulder also helps should you end up at locations without pavement to your door.

For the last 20 years I've been using something like this:

Cheers,
Rohan.

Wrap the plate with your clothes, so it can't impact your drysuit.

Use a hard carryon. I think Gregory has a small, hard case, backpack carry on. A back pack is just going to get crushed.

I take extra effort in smashing other people's bags, when I load my carry on. 3 full swings minimum.

Gregory brand is difficult to source in the Netherlands... but there are alternative brands :caugh: Samsonite

I've used a hard case for many years to transport dive gear including drysuits. Of course, this comes with a penalty, weight. Compromises have to be made. Take out the clothes, or at least most of them and toiletries. If you're going on a liveboard, you will need very little of either.
Going to Cyprus, so the hard cases can be a solution :wink:

I'd just get a PCV duffle bag: they are light and waterproof. One with shoulder straps that are stored in a zipped pocket helps. Its also advisable to not have it marked with diving gear brands.

Fins, wetsuits, drysuits and undergarments are robust. Someone would have to be sticking a knife through the bags to damage them.

I used to use a wheeled/hard case for dive gear - until I realized 25% of my luggage limit was just the case.

Nowadays I use something similar to this:

Cheers,
Rohan.

My Santi dry suit comes in similar duffel bag, if not the same size, but I'm worried that this offers insufficient protection to it, especially if combined with the back plate. For the wet suit I wouldn't worry that much.

Just a thought, don't really have any experience travelling with scuba gear :)

You’re best bet is a hard case of some sort, the real threat to a drysuit is the zipper, soft bag and airline will lead to disaster. Make your back plate into a back pack and keep the heavy items out of a checked bag. Fins on edge can add some extra protection from crushing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom