Air2 AND octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vanango

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
is it possible to have an octo and still be using the air2?

I have the air2 and I need a standard secondary regulator for DMT/IDC. I don’t want to spend more money on replacing the inflator, so curious if I can just add another hose. I assume this would be fine, but wanted to check here to see if there were other considerations or conflicts I might be missing.

Yes, you can certainly do that. The air2's are not great for a lot of reasons. I have a friend, who likes his atomic version of the air2 simply because it has big buttons that fit his hands easily.

If you're going to be instructing, you should consider kitting up the way your students will. That usually means inflator hose - not Air2.

I'll start with a somewhat crass statement of - if you are pursuing DMT/IDC, you should be able to have the knowledge to answer your question....

but, anyhow....

If you're going to be instructing, you should consider kitting up the way your students will. That usually means inflator hose - not Air2.

Actually, you might have some credibility by being able to demonstrate both devices to the students (assuming you can)...

@GetDownScuba - how do you know the student's gear configuration? Are you training or do you employ the OP?

Yes you can. This is how I currently have mine setup since I thought the air 2 was a cool idea when I first bought my gear and have left it since I like the feel of it as an inflator.

I will point out one thing about expense though. It is a regulator. It still needs to be cared for like a regulator and part of that eventually means servicing it.

is it possible to have an octo and still be using the air2?

I have the air2 and I need a standard secondary regulator for DMT/IDC. I don’t want to spend more money on replacing the inflator, so curious if I can just add another hose. I assume this would be fine, but wanted to check here to see if there were other considerations or conflicts I might be missing.
The simple answer is yes.

The question you should be considering is what would you advise a student when asked the same question. Do you know the advantages and disadvantages? So to give a balanced opinion.

I'll start with a somewhat crass statement of - if you are pursuing DMT/IDC, you should be able to have the knowledge to answer your question....

but, anyhow....

Actually, you might have some credibility by being able to demonstrate both devices to the students (assuming you can)...

@GetDownScuba - how do you know the student's gear configuration? Are you training or do you employ the OP?
Personal experience, nothing more. Hence my use of the words "consider" and "usually" Shop I teach for and my independent instruction, when providing rental gear, are 100% non-air2.

Of course you can have both. It's not like you're violating a scuba diving rule by having 2 redundant regulators in addition to the primary.

Your situation is a bit unique but in most cases it would be pointless to have both- the odds of a 2nd and 3rd regulator failing at the same time are so remote as to be almost nonexistent and there's the additional expense of maintaining that 3rd reg, possibility of free flow issues, etc.

That is actually my teaching rig - both. And for the reason others have cited: being able to demonstrate and teach either method at a Scubapro shop.

But your question was a little different: "for the IDC, do I need to get a separate inflator?" You should be just fine. Be prepared to explain to the instructor that you configured that way on purpose, to be able to teach both. I probably wouldn't say that you didn't want to buy a $14 inflator fitting (Dive Gear Express) and hose.

Back
Top Bottom