Air2 AND octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've read through this thread twice and it really sounds like a lot of divers telling us how to do little things to avoid the inconvenience of a piece of gear that isn't necessary in the first place. I don't want a dump valve on my right shoulder. Merry had one that kept getting stuck under a D-ring, dumping her BC at the surface when she didn't want it to. I also don't use a pull dump. I've seen too many of them break by over pulling. Having a backup reg under my chin doesn't weigh any more than an Air2 so the carry on bag argument doesn't hold water. If I have to share air with someone they get my primary on a long hose and I breathe my backup. I'm free to adjust my buoyancy without having to take the reg from my mouth, press the deflate button softly or any other contortion. I haven't heard one good reason to own an Air2 yet. Eliminating one hose but adding another reg/inflator is not a good reason.
+1!

The air 2 is good for the diver who does 1 or 2 dives a year.

But really, Safety is of the primary concern when diving not eliminating hoses which are there for a reason in the first place.

The longhose and bungeed backup is by far the most streamlined, safest and easiest setup for a gas sharing scenario, and it carries all the way..... right through to cave or wreck penetration if you ever decide to go that route. I also believe, not only as having a longhose, but that being able to properly and fully deploy the longhose with ease is of paramount importance.

I've read through this thread twice and it really sounds like a lot of divers telling us how to do little things to avoid the inconvenience of a piece of gear that isn't necessary in the first place.

I think it's really about a lot of divers telling other divers how to use a piece of equipment that works for many of us. Personally, I have really appreciated the advice and input from those who have experience and are willing to share it, and discuss in an objective manner.

In spite of the irrational speculation early on in this thread, the conversation turned to one that has informed about the utility of an Air2, and how it can be incorporated into a safe diving experience.

the conversation turned to one that has informed about the utility of an Air2, and how it can be incorporated into a safe diving experience.

Agreed. I learned something very useful on this thread- as ignorant as it may sound I had no clue that different BCDs operate the left shoulder dump in different ways and I confirmed this with the BCDs used by my girlfriend and her son as compared to mine.

My BCD is a Seaquest with AirSource- pulling on the lower half of the hose releases the shoulder vent, I've known this and dived this way for the past few years. I've tried pulling on the corrugated hoses of other BCDs and nothing happened so I always assumed they didn't have the "pull dump" feature. I was wrong.

My girlfriend's BCD is a ScubaPro with Air2 and I showed her how she can vent it using the small lever on the left shoulder dump- but it's a bit hard to get to and operate especially when wearing thick gloves during cold water diving. Pulling the hose has no effect because, as stated earlier in this thread, the cable doesn't connect within the hose- it attaches to the Air 2. After reading this thread, I found that pulling from the Air2 does in fact release the shoulder dump (that little lever also moves like a light switch as the vent opens). I showed her the new way to vent her BCD- she was ecstatic.

Her son's BCD is a SeaLion with no alternate BCD regulator. Pulling anywhere on the hose- no effect. Pulling on the power inflator releases the shoulder vent.

As far as the concern that pulling hard enough will detach the hose or vent from the BCD: I checked the fittings and attachments of all 3 BCDs and there's no way they're coming off even with an extra hard pull.

The air 2 is good for the diver who does 1 or 2 dives a year.

Now to get divers to agree on what a proper hose routing setup is.

Bob

And until that time that there is a universal mandated hose routing, I guess I'll keep using my Air2 for my "1 or 2 dives a year."

Back
Top Bottom