Air2 AND octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you press the deflate button on it while you're breathing from it and deflate your BCD without filling your lungs with gas?

I sure can't.

I’ve never tried. If I need to dump a little air, I use my right shoulder dump. It’s my “go to” air dump. I’ll try to remember to use the deflate button.

Please help with this.

If you have the Air 2 in your mouth, it will not be at the highest point. How effectively will it deflate if it is not?

If you are gripping the OOA diver with the right hand, as is taught, how to you use the right shoulder dump?

What about BCds with no right shoulder dump?

The easiest method to dump air from the right shoulder dump is with the left hand. The same hand you would be using to operate the BC with or without an Air 2.

If there is no shoulder dump then you raise the air 2 and press the deflate button (again with the left hand), the same as any BC, with the very minor exception that it will be removed from your mouth for two seconds.

You could probably remove the low pressure inflator hose from the regulator first stage since you don't use it all that much, get an air integrated wrist computer and be down to a one hose system.
That's close to the reason why I bought my air2. Although I don't think I'd consider going to one hose, I do enjoy only having two small miflex hoses when rec diving. One for the primary regulator, one for the air2/power inflator. I have a transmitter on the first stage and that's it. It's a beautiful thing both on the boat and in the water.

About the only thing I give up is the ability to continue a dive should a piece of my equipment (like the transmitter) fail. Personally, I don't want to take on the risk of continuing a dive with a failed piece of gear anyway so it doesn't bother me.

Of course, you've got to be comfortable with "primary donate" using this setup. I already was since I'd used the bungeed secondary configuration for a year or two prior.

Now for a technical dive, that's a whole different setup. I don't use AI, I dive doubles (sidemount) I don't use miflex hoses etc... Right tool for the job and all that jazz.

If there is no shoulder dump then you raise the air 2 and press the deflate button (again with the left hand), the same as any BC, with the very minor exception that it will be removed from your mouth for two seconds.
This exactly. In practice, it really is extremely simple and uncomplicated. You give it a tug but no rub and maybe shift your position slightly if required for "standard" dump.

Mine has a little lever at the shoulder that is easy to use in a vertical dump. In fact I prefer it as I now have my Air2 lightly bungeed (easy to grab out) for streamlining.

Attachments

• DBC42173-3764-442E-AE72-845417A6D8D8.jpeg
    DBC42173-3764-442E-AE72-845417A6D8D8.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 143
  • 5E7D1457-1E0C-4BFC-9B24-AA5D7E707826.jpeg
    5E7D1457-1E0C-4BFC-9B24-AA5D7E707826.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 142
I like that if it ever decided to freeflow, I could quick disconnect and oral inflate. I could finish a dive on one regulator... Cousteau did. I also know how to buddy breathe, but now I really sound old

By the way it is not 5th gen and breathes just fine, maybe I am not subtle enough to experience these niceties of breathing. It reminds me of people arguing about hi fi sound in the days of records.

If you have the Air 2 in your mouth, it will not be at the highest point. How effectively will it deflate if it is not?

if you are in horizontal trim with the air2 in your mouth than the air2 will not be in a proper position for dumping air..
it works the same as any dump valve..
if you are doing a vertical ascent and using the air2 to breath from than you can push the deflate button to deflate your BC

Realizing that I am a major contributor to the issues being discussed here, to me, the proof may be in the pudding.

I have to admit I have never had to use my Air2 in a stressed situation, although as others have pointed out, I do breath it about every third or fourth dive, just to keep the feel.

When I dive next, I am going to try to manipulate both buttons, and the pull dump, while breathing from the unit, just to see what happens. Without direct personal experience, there's not much more to contribute.

Clearly, several of us here see it as a valid, reliable piece of diving equipment that we are very comfortable with; others feel differently, but I am still looking for statistics to support the concerns that it is a dangerous device.

This has been a very beneficial discussion, as it has allowed a very objective debate over the pros and cons of the Air2.

I personally appreciate the fact-based contributions by those who have first hand knowledge.

Please help with this.

you raise the air 2 and press the deflate button (again with the left hand), the same as any BC, with the very minor exception that it will be removed from your mouth for two seconds.

@johndiver999, You are referring to the commonly accepted method of removing the Air 2 from your mouth for a few seconds to vent the BCD while ascending. That is completely different from what @HeatCker posted earlier on this thread which clearly states that the diver should press the deflate button to vent the BCD while the Air2 is still in his or her mouth. This seems impossible (unless the diver is ok receiving a lungful of gas vented from the BCD) and despite repeated attempts to get a clarification from @HeatCker as to how a diver can possibly vent a BCD via the Air2 the question remains unclarified.

sharing air .... when breathing off an air2, to deflate your BC while ascending simply push the deflate button

just to be clear you "do not" have to remove the air2 from your mouth to deflate

The bold is "emphasis mine" to highlight the key points of @HeatCker's rather questionable post about how to vent a BCD using the BCD mounted secondary regulator while its still in the diver's mouth.

@johndiver999,
The bold is "emphasis mine" to highlight the key points of @HeatCker's rather questionable post about how to vent a BCD using the BCD mounted secondary regulator while its still in the diver's mouth.

Ok, when I first read the just leave it in the mouth mouth and press the button I thought there was no way that would work.
So I pulled out a bc with an air 2 attached, orally inflated it, put the reg in my mouth and pressed the deflate button. There is a chance this works. As long as you dont take a breath while deflating, it should be possible. Unlike standard power inflators, there is an exhaust valve so the air from the bc can exhaust without you breathing it in.

This wasn't a perfect test since I just squeezed the bc to force air out, so feel free to debate if in trim its possible.

it works
in a stressful situation like sharing air and ascending the last thing you want to do is remove your air source
practice and its easy to control your ascent, similar to using a std power inflator
i'm pretty sure that's why the deflate button is so big on the air2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom