AIR2 and the long hose...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cortez

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This question is posed strictly at those who use (or have used) an AIR2 type octo. I myself do not use one, I am simply trying to gain a little knowledge.

Do you use a long hose on your primary or do you simply use a standard primary hose? Have you practiced sharing air with this configuration? Have you ever had to use it for real?

I am not trying to start a debate to determine which is the proper configuration of a backup regulator - there are plenty of other threads for that. That being said, if you don't use (or have never used) an AIR2 type regulator, please let those with first hand experience answer. If you do use one, please respond as I am truly interested in understanding how they are used.

Thanks in advance!

Cortez

cortez:
This question is posed strictly at those who use (or have used) an AIR2 type octo. I myself do not use one, I am simply trying to gain a little knowledge.

Do you use a long hose on your primary or do you simply use a standard primary hose? Have you practiced sharing air with this configuration? Have you ever had to use it for real?

I am not trying to start a debate to determine which is the proper configuration of a backup regulator - there are plenty of other threads for that. That being said, if you don't use (or have never used) an AIR2 type regulator, please let those with first hand experience answer. If you do use one, please respond as I am truly interested in understanding how they are used.

Thanks in advance!

Cortez

The use of an Air2 makes no difference on what length primary you have, as the Air2 can only be used one way.
And, yes, I used one for a number of years.
And, yes, I do now use a long hose. But not with an Air2. But like I said, the use would be the same.
And, yes, I've used it under actual conditions.

I'm really at a lose to see what you're aiming at.

MD

MechDiver:
The use of an Air2 makes no difference on what length primary you have, as the Air2 can only be used one way.
And, yes, I used one for a number of years.
And, yes, I do now use a long hose. But not with an Air2. But like I said, the use would be the same.
And, yes, I've used it under actual conditions.

I'm really at a lose to see what you're aiming at.

MD

MechDiver,

I appreciate you comment and I understand the points that you've made above. Allow me to clarify a little further what I am aiming at. As a divemaster I am asked about equipment configurations by students and customers. While I have my own opinions, I like to call on as much knowledge as possible to help people find a configuration that works for them. I am trying gain a little knowledge about how people (outside of the shop I work at) are actually diving with AIR2's.

For instance, if you use the long hose on you primary when diving with an AIR2, what length do you use - 3', 5', 7'? Do you wrap it like a hogarthian, or do you use a swivel? If you use a swivel, what kind? Have you tried different length hoses on your primary and what are your thoughts? Any other thoughts on the regulator configuration with an AIR2 that users may have. After having used it for real, do you still like the configuration?

I apologize for the vagueness of the original quesiton. Looking back I definitely could have worded it better.

Cortez

I used one for many years while working on a charter boat in the Keys. I used it on many rescues of OOA divers. I've never used a long hose. Unless the OOA diver is highly trained, I think it's dangerous to let the OOA diver out of your grasp. If the diver is highly trained, why is he OOA? I now use a standard 2nd stage with a standard octo. There's no reason an Air II wouldn't work with a long hose (but I'd still hold on to the OOA diver).

cortez:
MechDiver,

I appreciate you comment and I understand the points that you've made above. Allow me to clarify a little further what I am aiming at. As a divemaster I am asked about equipment configurations by students and customers. While I have my own opinions, I like to call on as much knowledge as possible to help people find a configuration that works for them. I am trying gain a little knowledge about how people (outside of the shop I work at) are actually diving with AIR2's.

For instance, if you use the long hose on you primary when diving with an AIR2, what length do you use - 3', 5', 7'? Do you wrap it like a hogarthian, or do you use a swivel? If you use a swivel, what kind? Have you tried different length hoses on your primary and what are your thoughts? Any other thoughts on the regulator configuration with an AIR2 that users may have. After having used it for real, do you still like the configuration?

I apologize for the vagueness of the original quesiton. Looking back I definitely could have worded it better.

Cortez

Okay. My point was, there is no correlation between the Air2 and a long hose. They are mutually exlcusive in their use.
That being said, to answer your other questions:
I use a 6 ft hose
Hogarthian
Yes. A regular length hose works okay for recreation diving, but again, makes no difference whether you have an Air2, octo or safe second.
Regulator config. Not sure what you mean. Again, the Air2 is exclusive.
No, and that is why I use a necklaced second, whether using a long hose or not. Most people using a long hose are most likely using a backplate and wing. The inflator hose length on most wings is not long enough to allow the use of an Air2 style reg. If the hose IS long enough, its too long.
Unlike others, I don't think the use of an Air2 will kill you. I have found a better way and that is what I now use.

MD

This is right up my alley. I've used an AIR 2 for years. Originally I had it with the side-clipped standard octo, and that worked just fine.

After reading on the board how WONDERFUL the long primary was however, I started experimenting with six and seven foot hoses. I even spent all summer with the long primary config... I didn't discern much advantage in the tropics. In fact I ended up wrapping the hose around my neck twice, as I found it much easier to do that with in-water gear donning than wrapping it around my body. I haven't decided whether or not to go back to the standard-length primary hose or not. It would certainly make standardization with my students much simpler, but you'd have the problem of not being able to share air in a comfortable manner. Fortunately I've never had to share air except in training sessions, and even then I haven't tried it with the long-hose configuration.

I dunno... I'd experiment if I were you. If you don't like it, switch back.

When I worked at a NAUI place, I had three regs. Standard short primary, AIR 2, and a standard short octo. I kept the octo around only for teaching purposes... barely used it myself. When I finished with teaching, I yanked that sucker out.

Love the AIR 2. Wish it could be less bulky, but lord its so nice for tropics diving!

I used to use an AIR 2 equivalent. (Hated it.) I used it with a standard length hose on all but about a half dozen dives, where I used a 7' hose.

When I used an AIR2, I had a swivel on my primary 2nd stage - that way I could use a standard length hose and ensure a comfortable/manageable position when sharing air. I have since switched to a long hose/necklaced second configuration.

I used to have the Zeagle equivalent of the Air2, and had a 'slightly longer' hose on my primary (sorry, I don't know the exact length). That way it was easier for the 'donee' to use the primary second-stage in an OOA. My primary second-stage also had a swivel built into it.

I never used it in a real OOA, but practiced with it several times, including during ascent. Worked fine for me. I also made sure to brief any new buddies that I didn't have a conventional safe second, so they should take my primary if they needed air. I'm not sure such briefings are necessary, since most people desperate for air are going to grab your primary out of your mouth, anyway.

The only reason I got rid of it is that I couldn't get it serviced locally, and it was cheaper to replace it with a conventional octo. will probably go back when I am not on such a tight budget.

Hope that helps.

I have an air2 on my scubapro knighthawk. For my primary I have a 7' and I also have a bungied octo. Never had a problem with my air2. Seems to work fine if I ever needed it.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom