AIR2 inflate/deflate performance question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings,

I recently purchased a new AIR2 from my LDS. In talking with some other folks I discovered that these devices are generally thought to have extremely high inflation/deflation rates. Mine, however is nice and slow. Markedly slower than the "standard" power inflator that I removed from the BC. I like the speed at which it operates. However, I would like to know if the slower speed is due to a design change in the most recent generation. If not, I'm concerned I could have a problem and therefore would need to head back to the LDS for service or replacement.

So, does what I'm describing here sound at all reasonable and expected?

It should inflate your BC at about the same rate as a standard inflator. If not, something could be jammed in the inflator button. It's very easy to check:
1. Unscrew the cover on the back side of the AIR2 directly opposite the inflate button.
2. Once the cover is off, you will see a stainless steel screw head which is screwed onto the inflate button. Grab a screwdriver and unscrew that head, but be careful to hold the button when you do. The button is under spring pressure and may go flying when you unscrew the cap. That cap has a small O-ring on the underside of it, so when you take the cap off do not lose the O-ring.
3. Pull the inflate button out. You will find an O-ring on the shaft near the base, a spring covering the shaft, and possibly a plastic washer after the spring. Make sure that washer is not jammed in any way; the shaft should move freely through it.

If everything looks OK, then put it back together. Just be careful that when you screw the cap back onto the shaft you only tighten it "snug". That shaft is made of stainless steel, which is brittle. If you over-tighten the cap, you will break the shaft. The torque specification on that cap is only 2.7 in-lb, which is not very much!

Most likely, you will find the plastic washer I mention has become jammed around the O-ring on the shaft of the knob, and that is not allowing you to fully depress the inflate button.

Your best bet is to take the bc to the dealer where you purchased the Air2 and have them evaluate your situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom