Air2 thoughts please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trucker girl:
So if you're going up, how do you let air out of your BC? Do you breathe in the air you're letting out of your BC?

And why do people get upset about a repeat thread?

If you need to dump air while the octo inflator is in your mouth and you are vertical, you can tug on your corrugated hose and it will dump the air for you. If you are horizontal, use your rear dump. Or try to weight yourself well enough that you don't need air in your wing.

I like periodically repeating threads. New people come and comment, opinions change, products improve, etc.

And Hilary, I really like your avatar :)

TheRedHead:
We have this thread about once a week, TG. :D

I'm not talking refering to this thread- I'm refering to the feeling that you should apologize for repeating a thread. I've seen (here and elsewhere) where someone is made to feel bad about a topic that has a fairly old thread about it- and then people get upset when someone resurrects an old thread, too.

Anyway- I like repeated threads for the same reason Jarrett said. And thanks for the explanation.

And I'm very interested to actually see the setup. I'm not convinced I would like it but I guess that doesn't matter since I have an alternate. I'm kind of a fan of hoses. It makes me feel superior... :)

NOW I'm going to sleep... night, all!

We had a good Air2 a couple of weeks ago. A guy loved his Air2 but was a little concerned that his wife's would often inflate her BC and send her rocketing to the surface. I know it's not funny, but........:11:

I was the only person who was concerned about the wife because everyone else was debating the merits of the Air2.

archman:
So why the change? I thought the LDS dude told you that the AIR2 was part of the package. Was he just pulling your chain, or did your put your foot down about getting the standard inflator?
After last nights posts and some excellent responses here I decided I wanted a standard Octo. I told the LDS owner that. He offered me a SS1 instead showing me an adaptor than would fit 90% of all BC's out there and said I could just take the SS1 off mine and put it on a rental BC, if I was travelling. I told him I didn't feel comfortable with this, so I just told him I wanted the Z2 octo and that's what he sold me. He told me he gets most of his Scubapro's already configured with the Air2 but can swap them to the standard inflator if the customer requests. I ended up spending more money with the setup I went with so I guess we are all happy.

I was very pleased with the whole shopping experience and will definately go back for other stuff.

PerroneFord:
One of the things that always puzzled me was the amazing consistency of people trying to "streamline" or eliminate a hose. I simply didnt understand it.

Its not just about eliminating a hose its about eliminating a hose and reg. Making the setup simpler. Nothing extra to hang around your neck while gearing up. Nothing to drag thru the sand like so many octis do. Hope this solves the puzzle for you.
Any way whats to say you cant use an air 2 and a 7ft hose on the primary?

I've used the Air 2 (and the Tusa clone) for many hundreds of dives and have never had a significant problem with it. I once had a buddy with a total OOA incident at 100 feet which required me use the AIR 2 for real. She used my short primary reg. It was absolutely no problem.

I also like the speed at which it delivers air to the bc, which seems a lot higher than other standard inflators that I've used. For the type of lobster diving I do in strong currents, it is very beneficial to be able to dump all air from the BC and get yourself 8-10 lbs negative which allows you to work on the bottom and catch bugs without a lot of finning or other motion. After the bug is in the bag, it is nice to be able to very quickly re-establish bouyancy contol as you leave the lobster hole and resume a neutral drift above the bottom.

I think the primary benefit of the Air 2 is that the diver is constantly handling it to inflate/deflate the BC and when the time comes to actually use it to breath, there is absolutely no problem in locating and deploying it. It is also, so very simple to practice with it, since you can just use it on ascent and when done spit it out when reaching the surface. No need to re-stow it.

Lastly I use a pony bottle, so I'm already dealing with 2 standard second stages, I don't want 3 if I don't have to.

Packhorse:
Its not just about eliminating a hose its about eliminating a hose and reg. Making the setup simpler. Nothing extra to hang around your neck while gearing up. Nothing to drag thru the sand like so many octis do. Hope this solves the puzzle for you.
Any way whats to say you cant use an air 2 and a 7ft hose on the primary?
Coming from a place the AIR2 was pushed and i had one of my own , i can say " I have seen the AIR2 drag in the sand and on the reef" Most of the BCD's with them installed have WAY to long of an hose on them and when in trim they hand about 1.5 to 2 feet under the diver. A properly secured traditional alternate setup does not do that and its in the slipstream left from your BCD pockets or weight pouches.

terrasmak:
Coming from a place the AIR2 was pushed and i had one of my own , i can say " I have seen the AIR2 drag in the sand and on the reef" Most of the BCD's with them installed have WAY to long of an hose on them and when in trim they hand about 1.5 to 2 feet under the diver. A properly secured traditional alternate setup does not do that and its in the slipstream left from your BCD pockets or weight pouches.

I try to keep an open mind where equipment is concerned, as there are so many here with more experience than me... however...

I'm an advocate of the Atomics SS1 version of the Air2. It works for me. One of the ofttimes-used anti-Air2 arguments on this board (and there are quite a few threads on this -- very passionate threads) is that the traditional corrugated inflator hose (also attached to the Air2) keeps your head immobile due to the shortness of length, in the event of deploying the Air2 in an OOA situation.

Soooo... is it either too short or too long, guys? You can't have it both ways...

BKP:
Soooo... is it either too short or too long, guys? You can't have it both ways...

Sure you can. Don't use the dang thing in the first place. Then your inflator hose can be the correct length. :D

I think the Air2 people are smarter than we think. Put one of those one, use a short primary hose, buddy up with a hot chick or a cute guy, and shut their air off underwater without them knowing... INSTANT kissing situation.

It's got potential...

PerroneFord:
I think the Air2 people are smarter than we think. Put one of those one, use a short primary hose, buddy up with a hot chick or a cute guy, and shut their air off underwater without them knowing... INSTANT kissing situation.

It's got potential...

Damn... busted!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom