Airfare Deals/Tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check your airline's policy. You are not allowed to just crack open your own liquor. Some airlines will let you drink it; however, they have to serve it to you. Just give your bottle to the lead flight attendant when you board. This is typically allowed on flights coming back from resort destinations. Whether the FA wants to serve you is their choice. Their primary concern and job deals with safety and cabin managment first. Be nice, play by the rules, and you'll be surprised by the treatment you get. If you have some jackarse on board, they'll ruin it for everyone.

all the searches use dates, I'm flexible, being self employed, I just want the lowest rates and I'll adjust the dates , what are the best days to fly ??

spadoc:
all the searches use dates, I'm flexible, being self employed, I just want the lowest rates and I'll adjust the dates , what are the best days to fly ??

Midweek. Tues, Wed, Thursday.

I go to Travelocity to find the cheapest fare. Once I find it, searching by price rather than by date, I go to that airlines website and see if they have it cheaper. My non professional experience has been that prices change daily. What you see on Tuesday may be higher or lower on Friday afternoon. Working this far in advance gives you a lot of options and you can learn how the pricing goes.. You will also see as a major holiday is coming along, the prices go up regardless of when you are flying, I have seen the biggest cuts in fares right after Memorial day, but only for a little while before the 4th of July price increase. Also right after Easter is a good time for low prices to FLorida.
4 days before Christmas I got a good deal on last minute tickets thro hotwire.com. Sites like hotwire, and priceline work best when for last minute deals.
Hope it helps. Good luck.

Drinking your own liquor on the plane:
It is against FAA requlations. See Cabin Safety / Alcohol 14 CFR 135.121
(a) No person may drink any alchohlic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage.

Just because it is being served / sold does not mean it is an open invitation to BYOB. Resaurants & bars are a perfect example of this.

Cheap airfare: Sept. Oct. & early Nov. is a great time to travel to places like Coz & Cancun. Just keep in mind the weather. Here is a little trick, keep an eye on the governments threat level. When the level goes up ( yellow to orange or red ) the price goes down. When the level goes down the price will skyrocket. The more time you have to shop price, the better. But if it's a spur of the moment kinda thing, check out 11th Hour Vacations. Sometimes they will have great deals.

Kat:
Drinking your own liquor on the plane:
It is against FAA requlations. See Cabin Safety / Alcohol 14 CFR 135.121
(a) No person may drink any alchohlic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage.

Just because it is being served / sold does not mean it is an open invitation to BYOB. Resaurants & bars are a perfect example of this.

You're contradicting yourself here. The certificate holder (airline) operating the aircraft may serve (FA) an alcoholic beverage. The FAR states no person may drink (consume) an alcholic beverage not served by the airline. It doesn't matter who brought it onboard. Some airlines have a company policy about serving liquor they haven't sold or comp'd to the passenger, but the FAR's don't prohibit it.

mikswi:
I have also researched flying into Orlando and then driving the rest of the way. Cheaper and, being unemployed I can have some flexibility in the travel dates. i.e, arrive a few days earlier, depart a few days later.
Since you are from MA. and flexible check out Air Tram. They have $ 89.00 one flights in and out of Orlando from Boston all the time.

You're planning on coming here at a great time. The weather isn't smoking hot any more and the water is still warm.

Its one of my favorite times on the water around here..... you'll have fun.

If you DO get down here, look me up. I'm always willing to blow some bubbles, and I go places the "tour operators" don't - not because they don't like you, but because they have a schedule to keep - and I don't!

Yes, MEM Pilot, I should have said serving instead of drinking.
It is against FAA reg. to dispense the liquor yourself. That was my point, when I quoted the FAA reg.
Bringing it on board is no problem. It is the serving of it that has to be done by the "certificate holding operator of the aircraft".
Good luck with that.

Genesis, I know your just down the road from where im going. What should I purchase for a wetsuit? I currently own a 7m for New England diving and I dive almost thru the winter, Late Nov early Dec- Then I pick up again around right about now, early Mar.

I have a reasonably high tolerance for the cold, can I get away with a 3m? My wife wont dive past Sept here so she will keep her 7m for down there.

Back
Top Bottom